Ontopic So, dad forgot my birthday...

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,201
Steam
asastang
And as far as I know, since he retired in Dec/Jan he has forgotten my older sister's birthday (March) and my younger sister's birthday (April)
This is more than mildly concerning as dad has never forgotten anyone's birthday, but I know that since he retired his sense of time has slipped a bit (even more so since he had to sell his parent's house)

I am not sure how concerned I should be, or know of any way to try and help fix this.

In the back of my mind, I am also remembering grandpa's Alzheimer's and eventual dementia.

thats a constant fear of mine when my mom seems to repeat herself, or forget things, as my grandmas mind is so far gone she's barely a person anymore as horrible as that sounds.

the bad part is that theres nothing you can do. Its not like diabetes or heart disease, or anything where you can eat healthier, or take some drugs. If your mind is going, its going and theres no stopping it.

Was he a man that lived by an outlook planner or desk calendar? Maybe he has no concept of time without a set work schedule anymore. If that's the only thing that he's slipped on then I wouldn't sound the alarm, but just keep it in mind in case anything else starts being out of sorts.

I'm sorry he forgot your birthday. That sucks. If it's any consolation my father is a CPA and our birthdays are in the throes of tax season. He eventually remembers at least mine.

Any other symptoms though? Could it be he had it all in his calendar and the work made him see stuff in advance?

Dementia sucks :(

He is still sharp as ever from what I can tell.
I wouldn't say he lived by the calendar, but I think at work he had enough meetings and such that he was able to keep abreast of everything. He and I are similar enough that it scares me sometimes and I know that when I don't have anything I have to do or anywhere to be that I lose all track of time.
My younger sister is in town with him and sees him just about every weekend and hasn't really noticed anything off

I would chalk it up to a life change since it seems to be just that then. If he had lots of meetings and stuff this could be odd to have to remember it all on his own (assuming he had a way to know it all).

Volunteering is a good thing to do. I got into that after I quit work before I had my little guy.

That might be good. Or take up a new hobby or something :)
Dad has a shop that has more floor space than my house. Majority of it is half finished projects. Then he has two vehicles he is working on, one of which is nothing but a body and a bunch of boxes of parts.
Another hobby would not go over well.

NPR had a great discussion the other day about dementia. If you notice signs, ask him to get checked out. There are treatable things that can cause this!

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
@Amstel knows what its like to be old.

I think all 40+'rs have a paper calendar somewhere. :lol:

you're just nervous that you're old enough to see it make sense. :lol:

for the elderly, it's an easy way to see a snapshot of the week/month. You know the left edge are sundays, the right edge are saturdays, etc. & you can visualize (like you could for generations) what's going on during the month.

you're just nervous that you're old enough to see it make sense. :lol:

for the elderly, it's an easy way to see a snapshot of the week/month. You know the left edge are sundays, the right edge are saturdays, etc. & you can visualize (like you could for generations) what's going on during the month.
I have my phone with my FULL calendar on it.

No thanks. Your paper calendar idea is dumb to me.