Ontopic So, dad forgot my birthday...

Dad got rid of dial up about a year ago. He has never had a cell phone

my mom & dad (70's/80's) use/used cell phones (and a landline in case the power went out. In their calculation for safety 'in case' they dismissed that they were using cordless phones for the home line lolz),

but had a calendar on the fridge they could both easily look at to see what was going on. If you're going away with the gf for a weekend, you can put it on his calendar too. then he'll know you're gone AND hopefully ask you about it when you get back.

Maybe his secretary (did he have one) was reminding him of your birthdays and he never actually knew when they were for himself.

Maybe his secretary (did he have one) was reminding him of your birthdays and he never actually knew when they were for himself.
That's funny if you know dad.
Never has a secretary, and was never in a position that a secretary would have really helped. Other reasons it is funny are things that you would have to know dad to understand

his secretary is your mom?
They've been divorced since I was in 11th grade...

He called and we talked (sisters called him and said WTF?)
I admitted I was worried about him and he said that for the past 8 years or so he always remembered my birthday as 11 days after seeing the fireworks at his parent's place. Considering we sold the house back in March or so...

We made plans for me to visit in a week or so

And as far as I know, since he retired in Dec/Jan he has forgotten my older sister's birthday (March) and my younger sister's birthday (April)
This is more than mildly concerning as dad has never forgotten anyone's birthday, but I know that since he retired his sense of time has slipped a bit (even more so since he had to sell his parent's house)

I am not sure how concerned I should be, or know of any way to try and help fix this.

In the back of my mind, I am also remembering grandpa's Alzheimer's and eventual dementia.
I think that, if he shows you love & support, and shows an interest in being in your life, I'd just sorta chalk it up as "dad is retired and doesn't remember bdays".

You know dates don't mean much once you're retired. I missed my 20th wedding anniversary simply because the actual date passed by without me realising it had. You need to know the day of the week but unless you have numerous appointments the date itself can be almost irrelevant. But then I'm probably senile anyway.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
You know dates don't mean much once you're retired. I missed my 20th wedding anniversary simply because the actual date passed by without me realising it had. You need to know the day of the week but unless you have numerous appointments the date itself can be almost irrelevant. But then I'm probably senile anyway.
This was sort of my thinking on the matter