so all you DUIers

FlamingGlory said:
Yar, I'm not sure if you should screw the furring on... He's going to need a moisture barrier too, between the block wall and everything else.

Is he putting in a floor? Cause thats a whole 'nother set of furring + moisture barrier + insulation + floor he's going to need.

ETA: Outlets too, if you ever plan on plugging anything in. Bout $6-8 each, and coverplates, and wire.

for standard framing looks like the lumber will be around $350-$400. I dread the drywall, but at least i dont have to do the ceiling.
I dont do electrical, but my brother-in-laws brother (who i went to school with) does. Just gotta get the materials and give him $50 to wire it up. My only issue is that i have an old school fuse box.
Ive got a budget of about $2500. Its going to be close.

Valve1138 said:
I have no idea if I'm right. That was the number a contractor gave me once when I was going to have my basement finished.

But you're right. Easiest way to finish a basement is to strap pressure treated furring strips to the concrete walls, then put that rigid foam insulation between. Then cover with drywall and you're good to go.

except wires need to be run across all 4 walls...

any idea on how to do the flooring? The original plan was just to throw down some carpet and padding onto the concrete after its been watersealed, but i feel like its going to be more complicated than that. anything i should know?

HydroSqueegee said:
any idea on how to do the flooring? The original plan was just to throw down some carpet and padding onto the concrete after its been watersealed, but i feel like its going to be more complicated than that. anything i should know?
I've never seen it done like that... Mostly because here it would rot. The best way (and how it's normally done) is to waterproof, then put down a moisture barrier, then furring strips for an airgap, then plywood, and finally the floor.

I guess if it was a super dry basement you could put carpet on slab... Maybe. I wouldnt.

FlamingGlory said:
I've never seen it done like that... Mostly because here it would rot. The best way (and how it's normally done) is to waterproof, then put down a moisture barrier, then furring strips for an airgap, then plywood, and finally the floor.

I guess if it was a super dry basement you could put carpet on slab... Maybe. I wouldnt.

might be a good idea. there is actually carpet down there now that was put in probably 4 years ago by the former owners. It looks to be in decent shape. When i pull it up i'll see if there is any water damage and go from there. from floor to ceiling is only 7', so i dont want to lose inches if i dont have to.

HydroSqueegee said:
might be a good idea. there is actually carpet down there now that was put in probably 4 years ago by the former owners. It looks to be in decent shape. When i pull it up i'll see if there is any water damage and go from there. from floor to ceiling is only 7', so i dont want to lose inches if i dont have to.
:lol: Good luck. I miss having a real basement, the current one has a dirt floor. It's all rather icky.

Build your new wall out of the skulls of your enemies. You will never have a better "ice breaker" conversation in your home.

FlamingGlory said:

I think that's definitely based entirely on where you live, all my parent's have in their basement is padding and the carpet directly on the concrete slab, but there is about -40% moisture in Utah, so it's not a big deal.