WTF So a friend of mine has gone into a full blown porpoise v. wtf, advice??

This thread is ridiculously confusing to me.

Logic says call her family and doctors immediately, not ask for advice on a forum. I don't want to come across as mean, but come on...

Then perhaps you haven't read the posts where I've spoken about NHS involvement. Also lots has happened today which just proves how many people go through the cracks in this bloody system.

Called her doctor today, got him to call the crisis team who in turn got her a hospital appointment with a psych. Psych tried to send her home, her housemate and another friend refused and told them they need to keep her in hospital, to which the psych's said 'sorry its hometime now bye bye' and left it at that. Housemate couldn't take her home, the hospital refused to take her, no idea what is going on now but as far as I know my old housemate is going through hell trying to get the hospital to take some responsibility for her and keep her there.

The psych's said she would be better off at home 'getting used to being alone'. Hello?!? When left alone she wanders round out of her mind getting into dangerous situations while she's very vulnerable. What a joke.

I'm praying I get a call soon telling me they've finally accepted her on to a ward. Her housemate cannot cope anymore looking after her and if they discharge her I'm going to have to stay with her until her mother comes in the next few days, meaning her mother will take her home away from Nottingham (while the clever psychs have said she'd be better off here), go back into the care of her unbalanced mother with no friends around her and god knows what support she will get.

Fucking mess. Why don't they just take her in for observation so they can see what we're trying to tell them for themselves???

:mad: The 'healthcare professionals' are making this so much harder on everyone than they have to.

How they do things on the other side of the pond really baffles me.

Um, what to say... when I lost my marbles, I was immediately thrown in the ward. No questions asked. So like, if you friend is just plan ol' psycho, I don't see how they aren't beating the sanity back into her.

Just had a phonecall from a girl I used to live with to say the other girl I used to live with has completely gone off the deep end - hallucinations, not sleeping or eating, talking gibberish, being a danger to herself, wandering off on her own, turning up in doctors surgeries etc

At the moment my friend doesn't think she's be to left alone and is getting a crisis team to call round tomorrow to see what they can do but does anyone have any experience with people they know going through this sort of thing? Anything I can do to scotch her or shall I just leave it to the docs (assuming they can do it speedily enough)?

Yes Knee-moe, a "friend of yours" ;)

Edit: oh I see I came to this thread way too late and DJB had made the same point about 19 pages ago. Oh well...

Last edited:
Gee's I guess you gotta be someone famous to be put in the Hospital & sectioned in UK. Adam Ant screamed at some Christians during a show & he was locked up. He didn't sh*t or piss his pants & was probably able to feed himself.

There is something wrong with this story here.

If Health Officials came to talk to this person who is in such a bad way, they would have done something & gotten her assistance right away. Not leave her where she was in soiled clothes & unable to feed herself or bath having hallucinations.

Gee's I guess you gotta be someone famous to be put in the Hospital & sectioned in UK. Adam Ant screamed at some Christians during a show & he was locked up. He didn't sh*t or piss his pants & was probably able to feed himself.

There is something wrong with this story here.

If Health Officials came to talk to this person who is in such a bad way, they would have done something & gotten her assistance right away. Not leave her where she was in soiled clothes & unable to feed herself or bath having hallucinations.

Actually the story is exactly as outlined. The crisis team wanted to see how she was in a week and recommended that she was left on her own to see if she got used to it! They seemed to think that as she posed no danger to others and wasn't threatening self harm then NME and her housemate should take care of her. WTF. She was turned away from the hospital because they jumped to the conclusion (wrongly) that she was on drugs. After I contacted NHS Direct, miraculously and coincidentally a bed appeared and she was admitted last night. Her father arrived from the other end of the country today and took her home.

Actually the story is exactly as outlined. The crisis team wanted to see how she was in a week and recommended that she was left on her own to see if she got used to it! They seemed to think that as she posed no danger to others and wasn't threatening self harm then NME and her housemate should take care of her. WTF. She was turned away from the hospital because they jumped to the conclusion (wrongly) that she was on drugs. After I contacted NHS Direct, miraculously and coincidentally a bed appeared and she was admitted last night. Her father arrived from the other end of the country today and took her home.

Wait a minute, she wasn't considered a danger to herself after demonstrating absolutely no willingness to care for herself? Then they admitted her and then they let her go after one night? Doesn't she need to stay in the hospital? Doesn't she need care that can't be given at home?

I think the main problem here as DJB made me aware is that you cannot admit somebody unless they agree to it and she wasn't sure whether she wanted to be in hospital or at home. She kept changing her mind every 2 minutes. If you see a patient and they're lucid and say they want to go home, you cannot keep them in so the docs were unsure as to whether she should just go home. However once again I was surprised (although I don't know why) at the judgemental attitude. Yes I can understand it and I'm sure they see drug fall outs all the time but that doesn't mean 1 in 100 aren't like that and genuinely need help. It's like when I went to A&E once years ago after a fall, the x-ray said the blow to my face was akin to somebody punching me so they looked at my boyfriend and decided he was a woman beater, kept trying to cajole me into saying he hit me etc. then got angry with me for not 'being honest'. :case:

I think the main problem here as DJB made me aware is that you cannot admit somebody unless they agree to it and she wasn't sure whether she wanted to be in hospital or at home. She kept changing her mind every 2 minutes. If you see a patient and they're lucid and say they want to go home, you cannot keep them in so the docs were unsure as to whether she should just go home. However once again I was surprised (although I don't know why) at the judgemental attitude. Yes I can understand it and I'm sure they see drug fall outs all the time but that doesn't mean 1 in 100 aren't like that and genuinely need help. It's like when I went to A&E once years ago after a fall, the x-ray said the blow to my face was akin to somebody punching me so they looked at my boyfriend and decided he was a woman beater, kept trying to cajole me into saying he hit me etc. then got angry with me for not 'being honest'. :case:

To be fair, who's going to believe that you fell off a pair of stilts?

My wife rolled over in her sleep one time while we're dating and hit her face on her night stand. She had a bad black eye and she thought it was funny to tell her hair clients that I hit her. I didn't think that was so funny.

Werd. I keep imagining if I ever roll over in my sleep and do something like that what the women at work will say.

My friend Laura used to play on it when she had her black eye though, she'd look sheepish in shops, shout 'you should have seen the other guy' to people on the street etc. She's a bit of a whackjob though.

Werd. I keep imagining if I ever roll over in my sleep and do something like that what the women at work will say.

My friend Laura used to play on it when she had her black eye though, she'd look sheepish in shops, shout 'you should have seen the other guy' to people on the street etc. She's a bit of a whackjob though.

You seem to say that about a lot of your friends. Hmmm....