snap judgements

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
how often do you do this? how do you view the topic? do you think it's justified to do (people bring it on themselves,) or do you think it's not a good habit?
how often are you accurate at your initial observations? when is judging others a good thing?

800px-Socratesdeath.jpg

Irl, I judge people within about 10 seconds of meeting them. I've not ever been wrong either.

BeeRad said:
I am a great judge of character, I can always tell if someone is going to be a single serving friend.

Um...IMHO..everyone I know that says that they are a good judge of character, usually isn't. And the people that are the most adamit about it are usually waaaay off the charts a lot of the time. People see what they want to see. Plus many people don't stand firm on their beliefs, their 'character' anyway. They say and believe one thing, but in reality do another...... so what are you really judging?

Pandora said:
Um...IMHO..everyone I know that says that they are a good judge of character, usually isn't. And the people that are the most adamit about it are usually waaaay off the charts a lot of the time. People see what they want to see. Plus many people don't stand firm on their beliefs, their 'character' anyway. They say and believe one thing, but in reality do another...... so what are you really judging?
I'm his friend. Does that tell you anything?

Pandora said:
adamant*

Maybe it's just because you dont like their opinions.

I don't think first impressions always are an opportunity to view the full scope of one's character. This especially applies to children, and probably any other person in a dynamic environment. I also think that some situations do offer a good opportunity for character judgment.

I have taught private music lessons to probably 100 different children, teenagers, and adults over the past 7 years. I have often been wrong in my initial assessment of a child's character/ability, but less often have I been wrong about the older folks.

I can think of a particular father of a student I have. I thought he was a real jerk initially, but after he decided to take lessons from me for a short time, I discovered he is actually a person I really enjoy.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I try fairly hard not to listen to my snap judgements.

Probably cuz I'm a cynic in a flimsy humanish shell
You are some kind of giant bug?

It is very rare that I judge people in a negative light shortly after meeting them. I am usually not qualified to make that choice. It takes months and months of planning, covert window watching, clandestine perusal of personal objects and panty sniffing to come to a decision.

Pandora said:
No I jurst hav to mulch expereince with seen' just howh two faced peeple realy r. :tard: Which is why I prefer the company of animals, they're more genuine than people.

Yeah, right. My cat was on my lap purring the other night but I could see in her eyes that she didn't mean it.

Pandora said:
No I jurst hav to mulch expereince with seen' just howh two faced peeple realy r. :tard: Which is why I prefer the company of animals, they're more genuine than people.
Hey you cant blame me for the spelling thing. You nearly ALWAYS misspell the most important adjective in you posts.

People cant be two faced when you assume the worst about them.

FlamingGlory said:
Hey you cant blame me for the spelling thing. You nearly ALWAYS misspell the most important adjective in you posts.

People cant be two faced when you assume the worst about them.
:lol:

Let me guess ... you meant to do that :rolleyes: