Sleep

how the hell did you manage that??

Coming home from finals week at college the year I found out I was allergic to caffeine so I was doing those allnighters without stimulants. Without that stuff coursing through your veins, by the end of the week it was completely cleared out and the exhaustion made for a deeper sleep than I had ever had.

I can still crash for 15 hours or more if "needed", like 2 weeks ago. :drool:

Coming home from finals week at college the year I found out I was allergic to caffeine so I was doing those allnighters without stimulants. Without that stuff coursing through your veins, by the end of the week it was completely cleared out and the exhaustion made for a deeper sleep than I had ever had.

I can still crash for 15 hours or more if "needed", like 2 weeks ago. :drool:

I think 15 hours of sleep is what I'm going to ask for for Father's Day.

5-6, almost always my fault. All of my good intentions of being asleep by 10 or 11 almost always fall by the wayside. I'd love to be down by 10, up by 5, but never make it. It's usually down by 12 or 1, up at 6. No bueno. No problems falling asleep, as I'm down as soon as I lay down. I just cant seem to force myself into bed when I should. It's like I fear sleep or something.

I sleep from 10:30-5:30 usually, but try not to get out of bed until 6:10ish (we'll try to get back in bed and not get out till then). On the weekends, I usually get one day of going back to sleep till 7:30ish while Kyle takes the kids.

Ideally I would get 9 hours of sleep a night, and every once in a while I crash at 8:30 or so (ok, so once in a while is 1-2 times a month).

For the kids, the oldest was a nightmare as a baby (my fault). She was a preemie and everything was different. When it was time for us to reclaim our couplehood so we could have sex again without the babe messing it up (sometime between 2-3, dont' remember exact), I would put her down and lay by her for a week or so, then I would sit by her, then stand, then slowly moved myself out of her room. She took forever. The middle kid I couldn't lay by him cause he was still in a crib when we did this (he was about 16 months), so I would simply relay him down, he cried for like 3 nights, but then became our best sleeper. The last kid was spoiled, and I'd hold him and he'd fall right asleep until he hit about 2, then he would fight it, so we started laying him in bed with his brother. We had to put him back a couple nights and he cried a little, but he say the routine the others had and caught on quickly. Now by 7:30 usually, they've had snack, stories, put them in bed, get them a drink and a kiss and we walk out of the room. They look at books for a little bit depending on how tired they are, then lay down and go to sleep.

Getting a good solid sleep schedule is critical to the sanity of the parents. With the first kid, she would go to sleep when we did cause she wouldn't sleep without me laying by her, so it was 10-11, we never got any alone time, it was killer on both of us individually and our relationship. Now it's much better, unless I pass out at 8, we have 2-3 hours to ourselves each night.

6-9 hours during the week, and 7-12 on the weekend. If I get an even number of hours of sleep I'm usually a zombie. (6, 8, 10, etc.). Odd number of hours I'm fine. No idea why.

5-6, almost always my fault. All of my good intentions of being asleep by 10 or 11 almost always fall by the wayside. I'd love to be down by 10, up by 5, but never make it. It's usually down by 12 or 1, up at 6. No bueno. No problems falling asleep, as I'm down as soon as I lay down. I just cant seem to force myself into bed when I should. It's like I fear sleep or something.
yeah, i stay up when I should go to bed, too. sometimes out of necessity, sometimes just stubborness.. watching TV.. movies.. computer. i honestly enjoy, sometimes, that time awake.. alone. :shifty: :lol:

yeah, i stay up when I should go to bed, too. sometimes out of necessity, sometimes just stubborness.. watching TV.. movies.. computer. i honestly enjoy, sometimes, that time awake.. alone. :shifty: :lol:

Considering your normal everyday life is an influx of people, I don't doubt it. :lol:

i stay up too late all the time. hard to give up the quiet time. if it's going to be less than three hours, i won't go to bed. it's just torture. so is getting seven hours. ugh! i usually sleep about four to six hours a night...and then a couple of times a year i'll pull a 14-hour stretch to refill my sleep bank. i lie down and go to sleep, and i don't wake up until i need to. i'm very lucky regarding my sleep.

shali. i personally think you're missing baby boy's window for sleep. if you miss the window, you have to wait until the next cycle of sleepiness, which is why it's running late. typically, a child's window is between 7 and 8 pm. just a suggestion!! :heart:

i can't disagree with this either.. i've noticed that he'll have that tired period, but if he doesn't go down he gets a second wind.

and I've read that you can't "catch up" on sleep. once it's gone, it's gone.

Last edited:
i can't disagree with this either.. i've noticed that he'll have that tired period, but if he doesn't go down he gets a second wind.

and I've read that you can't "catch up" on sleep. once it's gone, it's gone.

Well that's a lie. I do that every weekend with at least 12 hours of kip on Friday and Saturday.

i hate to go all "studies have shown" on ya DB, but I've read that more places than one. now, do I feel better after getting 8 per night the last two after getting 4 or 5 the 3 previous nights? sure. but you really can't make up for the missed sleep. it takes a toll.

i hate to go all "studies have shown" on ya DB, but I've read that more places than one. now, do I feel better after getting 8 per night the last two after getting 4 or 5 the 3 previous nights? sure. but you really can't make up for the missed sleep. it takes a toll.

Oh this is probably true.

If I had my choice, I would sleep half a day away. :drool:

Considering your normal everyday life is an influx of people, I don't doubt it. :lol:

aw, big time. i'm a people person all day but by sunday night about 9pm I didn't want to be nice to a soul. sunday was a long day. probably cause of the late friday/saturdays but then we got there about 1.. 3 hours earlier than usual.

it's probably my age. but increasingly I'm sleeping less and less.. like, i have to be careful not to go to sleep TOO early or I'll be up at 4am (like my father :case: )

That's not so much age, as what your body is used to. If it's used to getting 5 or 6 for a long period of time, then going to sleep early, in the beginning, means your going to wake early too. It may be too late to change it if you've been used to that lower amount of sleep for a long time. I dunno. Same happens to me though. If somehow I force myself down at 10, I'm up by 4, and wrecked for the rest of the day. It's a little bit of bullshit.