Sleep Thread

Don't eat before bed. Give yourself at least 2 hours before sleeping to digest.

If you wake up and you don't fall asleep in 5-10 minutes again, get up, otherwise you will start to subconsciously think of bed as a miserable place. If you are gonna be miserable anyway, do it elsewhere.

Get more exercise so that you are properly tired at bedtime.

Limit caffeine (obviously).

Meditate, if you are in to that sort of thing, before bed to help empty your brain. If you aren't try writing in a journal or something.

Try getting to bed a little earlier so that you can wake up on your own instead of using an alarm clock. Waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle can be terribly disorienting and make you feel more tired.

i find i sleep best if i properly load my head for good dreams. since i also have trouble with my mind racing at bedtime, i kill two birds with one stone by listening to good radio at bedtime. for me that typically means podcasts of This American Life or Radio Lab. I can't count the number of times I've listened to the War of the Worlds Radio Lab podcast (about the original radio broadcast, two knockoffs, why it fooled people and how the technique continues to fool people to this day)

Calcium and Magnesium. Seriously- it's changed my life, not to mention there are a ton of benefits for women.

Good bone health (this includes teeth,) lowered risk of cardio-vascular disease (heart attack is the number one killer of women in America) Sound sleep (even when you aren't getting much, the quality of sleep is better, and you fall asleep faster) decreased or eliminated swelling/water weight gain associated with pregnancy or PMS, decreased or eliminated leg cramps at night. Those are just off the top of my head.

Anyway, take your Calcium and Magnesium, because they will help your blood pressure stay low even when you're stressed and because the benefits are legion including:
the little sleep you get will be more restful sleep
it will keep you from retaining water
it will keep you from having bone loss
it helps with weight loss
it will help keep your teeth healthy
it will help your emotions be on a more even keel.

1500mg of Calcium and 500mg of Magnesium EVERY SINGLE NIGHT before bed, no excuses.

Calcium and Magnesium. Seriously- it's changed my life, not to mention there are a ton of benefits for women.

Good bone health (this includes teeth,) lowered risk of cardio-vascular disease (heart attack is the number one killer of women in America) Sound sleep (even when you aren't getting much, the quality of sleep is better, and you fall asleep faster) decreased or eliminated swelling/water weight gain associated with pregnancy or PMS, decreased or eliminated leg cramps at night. Those are just off the top of my head.

Anyway, take your Calcium and Magnesium, because they will help your blood pressure stay low even when you're stressed and because the benefits are legion including:
the little sleep you get will be more restful sleep
it will keep you from retaining water
it will keep you from having bone loss
it helps with weight loss
it will help keep your teeth healthy
it will help your emotions be on a more even keel.

1500mg of Calcium and 500mg of Magnesium EVERY SINGLE NIGHT before bed, no excuses.

Ditto, I get Kirkland brand Calcium Citrate, Magnesium, Zinc w/vit. D combo from Costco, excellent. I take 4 every night.

Hope it helps, calcium is a natural relaxer and D helps you absorb it.

:heart:

If you wake up and you don't fall asleep in 5-10 minutes again, get up, otherwise you will start to subconsciously think of bed as a miserable place. If you are gonna be miserable anyway, do it elsewhere.

Meditate, if you are in to that sort of thing, before bed to help empty your brain. If you aren't try writing in a journal or something.

Try getting to bed a little earlier so that you can wake up on your own instead of using an alarm clock. Waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle can be terribly disorienting and make you feel more tired.

good advice. what you said in the beginning helped me. DON'T keep looking at the clock going "OMG, it's 2.. OMG, it's 3." when experiencing insomnia I don't look at the clock. it ain't goin' nowhere and if it's set for your morning wakeup it will go off without monitoring.

things i tried before bed last night:

did this. does drinking count in this too? because I had a nightcap last night.

i made an effort when i knew i woke up after a sleep cycle to roll away from the alarm. fell back asleep in about 5 minutes. i also think it helped that i didn't have incredibly messed up dreams too, to get my mind going when i woke up.

i had a rockin' good workout at the gym yesterday. sadly, my right calf is torn so i don't know if i can do this for a couple of days.

i only really ever have 1 cup of coffee in the mornings.

What I did wasn't meditation, but this is the thing that I think helped the most. Especially after the bad news I got this week, and having that just be at the forefront of my mind for most of the week, I laughed my ass off right before bed while talking on the phone, about mostly completely asinine things. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep still smiling.

12:30 wasn't exactly early, but I knew I didn't have to get up early this morning. Rolled out of bed at 9:30 after drifiting gently in and out of waking up and snoozing.

now, hopefully this kind of thing can keep up. :heart:

What I did wasn't meditation, but this is the thing that I think helped the most. Especially after the bad news I got this week, and having that just be at the forefront of my mind for most of the week, I laughed my ass off right before bed while talking on the phone, about mostly completely asinine things. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep still smiling.

lol, wicker swingsets :fly:

does drinking count in this too? because I had a nightcap last night.

now, hopefully this kind of thing can keep up. :heart:

As long as you aren't getting wasted a drink is probably okay. If you are drunk there is no way to get restful sleep because you body is working so hard to get rid of the awful toxins.

I hope it all helps you. I had to take a sleep class while in a mental institution a while ago, which is where I got all these suggestions.

Whoever said calcium/magnesium is right on as well. A calcium/magnesium/zinc vitamin regimen is not a bad idea for any female. Also, get your vitamin D levels checked next time you see your doctor. I was shocked to find out that my levels were so low that it's going to take me months to get back in a normal range. Apparently I don't see the sun enough. Fucking winter.

wow, 3 simultaneous posts

I would've been back to sleep a long time ago but they're doing work to the facade of the federal court house across the street and some dude is leaning heavy on a grinder of some sort :lol: