slavery

I'm not claiming they're less than human, I'm saying that since I already own my body that anything created with that genetic material is my property. That "individual" is merely a copy of my original DNA. He's still fully human and all but that genetic material should belong to me. :o

I gotcha, I wasnt pointing you out, just stating that as a majority people would view clones as "less human".

A lot depends on the clones ability to think. Can we figure out a way to pass on our memories to them or will it just be an adult with a clean slate mind?

wouldn't it have to grow from infancy to adulthood and thus have its own set of memories and experiences?

if I could get a current model - preferably a 2001 edition - of my clone with a blank slate, just basic consciousness and linguistic abilities I'd totally consider it my property. if I had to grow one from scratch I wouldn't even bother. I was a pain in the ass to raise, I wouldn't want to go through that shit myself

wouldn't it have to grow from infancy to adulthood and thus have its own set of memories and experiences?

if I could get a current model - preferably a 2001 edition - of my clone with a blank slate, just basic consciousness and linguistic abilities I'd totally consider it my property. if I had to grow one from scratch I wouldn't even bother. I was a pain in the ass to raise, I wouldn't want to go through that shit myself

Besides the "your dna" part, what makes this any different between taking someone from a tribe and enslaving them? They have basic knowledge and linguistic abilities and people made them there property. IMO it is pretty sick to think of any human as property, no matter where they came from.

Why besides that part? That's the important bit, ding dong.

Besides the whole gravity thing, why is it so hard to get to the moon? :nev:

Because it is still a human being, flip flop. No matter how you look at it you are enslaving a human being to do your bidding. I mean it is only vaguely off saying that your child should be used as slave labor because you share similar DNA. Sure this is more than "similar dna" but it is still enslaving a human being, period.

I'm not claiming they're less than human, I'm saying that since I already own my body that anything created with that genetic material is my property. That "individual" is merely a copy of my original DNA. He's still fully human and all but that genetic material should belong to me. :o
but wouldn't that mean that your parents share joint rights to your genetic material?

Because it is still a human being, flip flop. No matter how you look at it you are enslaving a human being to do your bidding. I mean it is only vaguely off saying that your child should be used as slave labor because you share similar DNA. Sure this is more than "similar dna" but it is still enslaving a human being, period.

A child only has half of my DNA, the other half is someone else's and thus is not a pure copy of what already belonged to me.

but wouldn't that mean that your parents share joint rights to your genetic material?

Possibly. And in many places until one is legally an adult the child is the property of the parents.

However the difference is that the combination of two sets of DNA create an entirely unique set of genetic material. A clone would be an exact match of something I already own.

Possibly. And in many places until one is legally an adult the child is the property of the parents.

However the difference is that the combination of two sets of DNA create an entirely unique set of genetic material. A clone would be an exact match of something I already own.

Although I still dont agree with your use of the word Property, you are talking about enslaving a "lesser human being" because you share the same DNA. To me that just sounds like plain old slavery.

Although I still dont agree with your use of the word Property, you are talking about enslaving a "lesser human being" because you share the same DNA. To me that just sounds like plain old slavery.

I never said it was a lesser human being. I simply said that this other human being is comprised entirely of my genetic material to which I ought to have full rights and privileges. :cool:

what if I whacked my clone in the head a few times with a hammer to dumben it up? would it then be acceptable to own it?

now be honest...would it really take more than one whack? :fly:

shortbus1.jpg