Skinning Banned in Georgia

The family resteraunts here often do not provide good seperation between the nonsmoking and smoking section. If they did I'd be totally against the ban. I dislike the government taking things away in the name of freedom.

You must remember this is Georgia and in some parts they just got people to stop bringing their livestock/dates into resteraunts with them. ;)

ChikkenNoodul said:
MA is entirely non-smoking, except for the cigar bars.

This has done three things:

1. Cigar bars aren't as good anymore, because of all the clods coming in just to smoke cigarettes indoors.

2. Masses of people huddled in front of every building, puffing away so you can't walk down a sidewalk without getting smoke.

3. All the hardcore smokers went up to NH bars to smoke, making those places rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Sometimes I wish they would ban smoking outside. When I worked downtown you couldn't step out of a building without getting hit with a cloud of smoke.

b_sinning said:
The family resteraunts here often do not provide good seperation between the nonsmoking and smoking section. If they did I'd be totally against the ban. I dislike the government taking things away in the name of freedom.

Well then you may need to move to a more civilized part of the world.

smileynev said:
Children do not cause cancer from second hand playing. I love kids but I don't like them bothering me when I am eating, so I try to avoid kid nights when we go out. Of course that is changing since the little un is now old enough to start eating her own meals.

You make a good point about government intervention. Its a slippery slope when you start banning harmful items from private businesses.

If a kid is raised in a house with two smokers, yeah they're going to have some health problems. I'm just not conviced that a child catching a wiff of smoke from someone smoking on the other side of a restaurant will give that kid cancer. If it's that serious then what about car exaust? Should people be allowed to drive cars near playgrounds?

Pandora said:
If a kid is raised in a house with two smokers, yeah they're going to have some health problems. I'm just not conviced that a child catching a wiff of smoke from someone smoking on the other side of a restaurant will give that kid cancer. If it's that serious then what about car exaust? Should people be allowed to drive cars near playgrounds?
Yeah, I grew up living next to a guy who chain smoked 6 packs a day and I was around him plenty. And I never got.......

never mind :(

Pandora said:

Its enough of a risk to be concerned about it. Its probably overblown a little bit, but as a parent you want to limit the risks that your child is exposed to, especially to things that are easily preventable.

smileynev said:
Its enough of a risk to be concerned about it. Its probably overblown a little bit, but as a parent you want to limit the risks that your child is exposed to, especially to things that are easily preventable.

That's undersandable. I would want to do the same if I had children. But I wouldn't expect the government to change the world to make it safer for my child. The government is there to protect the child's rights. But they shouldn't do that at the expense of other peoples rights.

My question is, why do smokers get all the consideration, and I as a non smoker get none? If people are smoking in my favorite resturaunt, Im just supposed to shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well I guess I wont go"? Same with bars & clubs. Full of smokers, I guess I cant go in and have fun too.
If people are allowed to walk around huffin smoke in my face, I should be allowed to walk around with a super-soaker and spray the cigs out:)

Pandora said:
That's undersandable. I would want to do the same if I had children. But I wouldn't expect the government to change the world to make it safer for my child. The government is there to protect the child's rights. But they shouldn't do that at the expense of other peoples rights.

Fo shizzle. In the long run government intervention is worse for the child in situations like this.

Drool-Boy said:
My question is, why do smokers get all the consideration, and I as a non smoker get none? If people are smoking in my favorite resturaunt, Im just supposed to shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well I guess I wont go"? Same with bars & clubs. Full of smokers, I guess I cant go in and have fun too.
If people are allowed to walk around huffin smoke in my face, I should be allowed to walk around with a super-soaker and spray the cigs out:)

Drool, you've been doing some quality post lately. Smoking Pot is banned and less people have died from that than cigarettes.

Drool-Boy said:

They have the same rights that you do. How could it become your favorite restaurant if people have always smoked there?