Skinning Banned in Georgia

Pandora said:
Great! But the businesses should have been able to do it voluntarily. The government should not have been involved.
its the closest thing they could do to banning cigs outright. new york did have it on a voluntary basis for a while before it became mandate. the rest of the establishments were wary of consumer loss before the mandate, but haven't suffered as a reult of it.

Do a nude protest! No not you ChikkenNoodul.

They will never ban cigs due to the pure money involved in it but at least trhey are taking steps to minimize it around children. I hate government involvment but I love my son more.

Drool-Boy said:
Its someones freedom to sit next to me in a resturaunt and huff on dirtweed while Im trying to eat?
What about my freedom to not breathe disgusting polluted air?

If someone can drag their 12 screaming children into a restaurant when I'm trying to enjoy my meal and conversation, then someone should be allowed to light up a cigarette there too. Children are 10x's more annoying and stressful to me than secondhand smoke, but I would never expect the government to outlaw kids in public places. If I don't want to be exposed to what bothers me, like kids, then I don't go to restaurants where I know there will be millions of them running around.

And if the government is going to start outlawing harmful smells in public places what about people with really bad BO? Or people wearing too much perfume? What about harmful noise pollution? The government should outlaw people talking loudly on their cell phones! Or listening to country music in public places!

Pandora said:
The government has no busniess telling private businesses who their customers base should be. If a restaurant wants to be smoke free then let em. If they want to serve smokers they should be allowed to, it's their business. And if you don't want to smell smoke then don't go to a place where you know everyone is smoking. If you don't like how a company operates, then don't give em your business. If a company losses $ they will change on their own accord or they will go out of business.

agreed. I hate smoking, and I think smokers are morons. But private business should have the right to do pretty much whatever they want, within reason. Until smoking itself is illegal, they should be allowed to have smokers at their establishments. I'm all for the government banning smoking anywhere that they have a proper say, though, such as public buildings and spaces.

Pandora said:
The government has no busniess telling private businesses who their customers base should be. If a restaurant wants to be smoke free then let em. If they want to serve smokers they should be allowed to, it's their business. And if you don't want to smell smoke then don't go to a place where you know everyone is smoking. If you don't like how a company operates, then don't give em your business. If a company losses $ they will change on their own accord or they will go out of business.

exactly.

if I was a bar owner, I would be pissed.

b_sinning said:

They will never ban cigs due to the pure money involved in it but at least trhey are taking steps to minimize it around children. I hate government involvment but I love my son more.

The don't bring your son into a place that allows smoking.

Pandora said:
If someone can drag their 12 screaming children into a restaurant when I'm trying to enjoy my meal and conversation, then someone should be allowed to light up a cigarette there too. Children are 10x's more annoying and stressful to me than secondhand smoke, but I would never expect the government to outlaw kids in public places. If I don't want to be exposed to what bothers me, like kids, then I don't go to restaurants where I know there will be millions of them running around.

And if the government is going to start outlawing harmful smells in public places what about people with really bad BO? Or people wearing too much perfume? What about harmful noise pollution? The government should outlaw people talking loudly on their cell phones! Or listening to country music in public places!
I'd actually like to see people with really bad BO outlawed :fly:

b_sinning said:

Then tell your son not to smoke, and don't take him to places where you know people will be smoking.

They banned smoking in bars and restaurants here in the twin cities a few months back. Now its driven all the dirty little smokers to the suburbs.

smileynev said:
agreed. I hate smoking, and I think smokers are morons. But private business should have the right to do pretty much whatever they want, within reason. Until smoking itself is illegal, they should be allowed to have smokers at their establishments. I'm all for the government banning smoking anywhere that they have a proper say, though, such as public buildings and spaces.
Yes, public buildings (like courthouses and schools) I'd agree with.

smileynev said:

Most places do allow smoking except for higher end places and though I prefer them, I don't take my son places that he can be disruptive.

Bar owners in Gerogia won't be pissed because people can still smoke in them.

I'm just not into smoking becuase I had a dumb ass uncle die a nasty death due to cancer from smoking and watched my wife's aunt die the same way a few months ago. They were stupid to smoke and if I ever catch my son smoking I will punish the hell out of him.

After the new ban I will be able to make sure I don't take him to any places that allow smoking becuase those places will be adult only places.

Last edited:
Pandora said:

Yeah, I agree, thats why I dont go to clubs or bars anymore. The smell of cigarettes makes me sick.

Pandora said:

:lol:
They just passed an ordinance in Harris County that they can kick you out of a public library if you have really bad BO. I think its motivated by homeless people going into them to sleep tho:p

smileynev said:
They banned smoking in bars and restaurants here in the twin cities a few months back. Now its driven all the dirty little smokers to the suburbs.

That's what happens when government gets involved. People find other ways around it. You would think that people would have learned something from the Prohibition...but nooooooo.

smileynev said:

But if all restaurants have smoking / non smoking sections (which is a joke cause smoke carries), where exactly are we supposed to be able to take our children out to eat? And second hand smoke is a lot different than other things cause it kills, and unfortunatley, lots, mostly kids.

smileynev said:
MA is entirely non-smoking, except for the cigar bars.

This has done three things:

1. Cigar bars aren't as good anymore, because of all the clods coming in just to smoke cigarettes indoors.

2. Masses of people huddled in front of every building, puffing away so you can't walk down a sidewalk without getting smoke.

3. All the hardcore smokers went up to NH bars to smoke, making those places rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Pandora said:

Children do not cause cancer from second hand playing. I love kids but I don't like them bothering me when I am eating, so I try to avoid kid nights when we go out. Of course that is changing since the little un is now old enough to start eating her own meals.

You make a good point about government intervention. Its a slippery slope when you start banning harmful items from private businesses.

b_sinning said:
Most places do allow smoking except for higher end places and though I prefer them, I don't take my son places that he can be disruptive.

Bar owners in Gerogia won't be pissed because people can still smoke in them.

Most family restaurants around here do no allow smoking. Or, if they do, its in a separate section.

kiwi said:
But if all restaurants have smoking / non smoking sections (which is a joke cause smoke carries), where exactly are we supposed to be able to take our children out to eat? And second hand smoke is a lot different than other things cause it kills, and unfortunatley, lots, mostly kids.
If the restaurant (The ones that families go to) owners were smart, they'ed voluntarily choose to be non-smoking.

I don't think I've ever been in a sushi place that allowed smoking, and their business sure hasn't suffered.

kiwi said:

Many restaurants in our area do not have smoking at all. The only ones that I can think of that do are the greasy spoons and hoity toity places. The chain restaurants, Perkins, Fridays, etc don't have smoking that I'm aware of. If they do I never smell it.