WTF Since when was a 40% vote enough for a motion to pass or stall

not quite but the point is still that majority is a lot more complex when you have fifteen times the population

No it's not. Majority is hard when you have such a divided country like the US is.. Size of your population is not a factor is this at all..

I also think majority is hard when the goal to get just barely get a majority.

Obama knows that he'll have the majority of the country against him until he eeks out that last vote at the last possible second. Then, it's back to having the majority of the country against him.

a 50% + 1 vote goal is the lowest form of government. The country will never be settled & happy if it always feels like it's being leveraged.

Correct. I think Jefferson is a good enough person to speak for the *intent* of the Constitution. And really it's stare decisis, just like the Right to Privacy.

Then why is Madison called the Father of the U.S. Constitution? Madison was one of three writers of the Federalist Papers. Alexander Hamilton and John Jay being the other two. Even Alexander Hamilton would blanch at what the federal government has become.

Not even Jefferson's Declaration of Independence survived the committee (John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Robert R. Livingston, and Roger Sherman) without major changes. One of the most notable changes was from "life, liberty, and property" to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" because the Founding Fathers did not want slavery to have a legal basis in one of our founding documents.

Then why is Madison called the Father of the U.S. Constitution? Madison was one of three writers of the Federalist Papers. Alexander Hamilton and John Jay being the other two. Even Alexander Hamilton would blanch at what the federal government has become.

Not even Jefferson's Declaration of Independence survived the committee (John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Robert R. Livingston, and Roger Sherman) without major changes. One of the most notable changes was from "life, liberty, and property" to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" because the Founding Fathers did not want slavery to have a legal basis in one of our founding documents.

I'll say it again. Stare decisis. Additionally, it's been CONTINUALLY upheld by SCOTUS.

And lets not forget why this country was founded. Religious freedom, right? Why on Earth would the Framers want religion in government? That's exactly what they were getting away from England for.

Please explain.

Last edited:
I'll say it again. Stare decisis. Additionally, it's been CONTINUALLY upheld by SCOTUS.

And lets not forget why this country was founded. Religious freedom, right? Why on Earth would the Framers want religion in government? That's exactly what they were getting away from England for.

Please explain.
No, no, no, no, NO.

It was the Church as an institution having a stake/control/finger in the pie (Like the Church of England) over the government that the framers wanted to avoid, not necessarily religion(s) since that's what gave people a moral base.

Freedom of religion, yes, but since some form of religion formed most people's central belief systems, I don't think it's possible to have asked for it to not come into play at all at that time.

:waw:
How about coming up with a logical reason as to why then.

You haven't noticed that the larger the group of people, the dumber their ideas are? We are like sheep, in essence. How many people believe in what you believe in? A VERY small percentage...

Plus ... on the previous topic... isn't the Patriot Act the biggest privacy rape of this country?

If you have a larger group of people you have a larger variety of opinions. How are you not getting this?

That's not what we are talking about. When a government puts forth a proposed law, you either have people who agree with it, or disagree with it.

You haven't noticed that the larger the group of people, the dumber their ideas are? We are like sheep, in essence. How many people believe in what you believe in? A VERY small percentage...

Plus ... on the previous topic... isn't the Patriot Act the biggest privacy rape of this country?

Dumb ideas are caused by lack of education and irrationality.

And yes the patriot act was one of the worst things to happen to this country.

I am loving how much Congress is pushing through during this Lame Duck session. Shouldn't the Congress be moving this fast all year long? It's not like the country stops on the weekend. It's not like EVERYONE has vacation for the holidays. It's not like these bills impact NO ONE. It's not like equality issues can just wait.