Since when is 1gig not enough ram?

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
Since today. Well, actually, a couple of days ago.

Rarely do I use my computer at home for anything other than reading hackaday or digg. Even then, it's not often. I actually shut it down for days at a time. Sometimes, even a week.

Anyways, I was working on a 340mb PSD on Sunday for a kind of test/demo thing for a job I interviewed for on last Thurday. Not a big deal for the most part. I've dealt with a 2gig PSD before (at work). Jeez. It took forever to do anything and it was pounding the scratch disk. :drool: All I could think was "I wish I had my Mac from work.." :eek::eek::eek:

My AMD64 +3800 with 1gig of ram is slow. Granted, it's a few years old, but seriously.. a gig of ram.

*sigh* you would think that I would be accustomed to being forever out of date on all things computer related by now.. *sigh again* Is it possible to become less geeky?

note: I upgraded my work computer (Mac Pro Dual Dual-Core 2.6) to a total of 6gigs of ram when I opened activity monitor and only had 50megs of memory free. Parallels has me drifting towards the dark side.

Last edited:
Try installing Vista on 1gb and see how well that works. If you don't get the newest patch still in beta and have a video card with more than 640mb RAM on it, playing a complex game crashes :lol:

I rarely have open just a browser so a gig is nothing anymore. I usually have open outlook, 2 different types of browsers due to work applications, wmp, excel, gaim, few ssl clients, multiple explorer windows, virus & spyware software, and have tons of background services.

My home computers are crappy too. I only use them for downloading torrents/dc and web browsing. My work laptop is way better so if I need more when not at work I just use that. I think that is pretty common with IT people that aren't PC gamers.

My home computer is my laptop, and I use it for everything. Bring it up to work on most days, too. 2 gb of Ram, dual core processor...it's pretty damn quick.

i41_ramcatbcj8.jpg

We got them because apparently 25 PCs are waaaay too expensive.

Instead we substituted gratuitous lag and performance shortcomings. Because that helps us.