should U.S. deport Nazi guard?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...7/10/01/nazi_1002_web.html?cxntnid=amn100207e

Accused Nazi guard says he's no war criminal
Lawrenceville man faces deportation

By BRIAN FEAGANS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/01/07

An 85-year-old Gwinnett County man accused of guarding people in concentration camps in Nazi Germany said Monday that the U.S. should not deport him.

Paul Henss addressed a throng of reporters at his home near Lawrenceville just hours after the federal government announced plans to expel him from the United States. The government says Henss trained attack dogs to kill people who tried to escape from two concentration camps during World War II.

"That was in 1942," the former SS member said on Monday afternoon. "I didn't know what they were doing with the people."

The Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security allege that the German citizen guarded prisoners "at the notorious Dachau and Buchenwald Concentration Camps in Nazi Germany."

The government says Henss "entered the United States in 1955 after concealing his concentration camp service."

Henss spoke over the occasional wailing of his wife, Else, after the two returned home from lunch at the Golden Corral. They seemed confused by the media attention and took turns sitting in a nearby chair to regroup.

"I was 19 years old," Henss said. "Everybody was with the Hitler youth."

Henss said he trained German Shepherds and Rottweilers to attack those who tried to escape the concentration camps. But he said he didn't know what was going on at the camps and had joined the SS primarily to fight on the front lines in World War II.

"I am not a war criminal," he said.

Henss admitted that he didn't list his service in the SS when arriving in New York more than half a century ago.

"I forgot about the war," he said. "I want to leave the war behind me."

The U.S. government's Office of Special Investigations has not forgotten. It has removed 106 participants in Nazi crimes since 1979.

The case against Henss is the first case in Georgia that the Office of Special Investigation has handled, said Jaclyn Lesch, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington.

Authorities have not set a court date for Henss.

"Hundreds of thousands of persons were confined under horrific conditions at Dachau and Buchenwald on the basis of their race, religion, national origin or political opinion," Assistant Attorney General Alice S. Fisher said in a statement from Washington Monday.

"By commencing these proceedings against a man who participated in the victimization of those who were interned there, the Justice Department continues to make good on its pledge to ensure that the United States does not become a sanctuary for human rights violators."

Director Eli M. Rosenbaum of the Office of Special Investigations said in a statement that "the SS committed mass murder at Dachau and Buchenwald and subjected thousands of inmates to slave labor, starvation, grotesque medical experimentation, and torture.

"The brutal concentration camp system could not have functioned without the determined efforts of SS men such as Paul Henss, who, with a vicious attack dog, stood between these victims and the possibility of freedom."

Court documents allege that Henss joined the Hitler Youth organization in 1934 and joined the Nazi Party in September 1940. He volunteered guard dogs that were trained to "bite without mercy" anyone trying to escape and "literally tear prisoners to pieces if they tried to escape."

During an interview with federal investigators, court documents say, Henss admitted that he served as a concentration camp guard for a few months, that he guarded forced labor details and "instructed other SS personnel on dog-handling techniques."

what are your thoughts on this? is it right? wrong? discuss.

I think its a bunch of crap for accusing grunts of war crimes. That guy's only choice was to decide which side of the fence he wanted to be on. At 19, its a pretty obvious choice.

I think its a bunch of crap for accusing grunts of war crimes. That guy's only choice was to decide which side of the fence he wanted to be on. At 19 while living in Germany its a pretty obvious choice.

fixd, and I agree. He left his homeland and his livelihood and came to the "enemy", the US. I think he has forgiven the US for what deaths they dealt to the Germans back in the day.

the Justice Department continues to make good on its pledge to ensure that the United States does not become a sanctuary for human rights violators."

Like Bush and Cheney, amirite???

This whole issue is stupid. Who cares what he did in 1942. Almost every able bodied man in Germany was in the military in some capacity, either the SS, the Wehrmacht, etc. Two of my uncles' fathers were, for crying out loud. I think that, at the age of 85, it isn't worth giving thought to anymore. Blind enforcement of policy is a gigantic pet peeve of mine.

"That was in 1942," the former SS member said on Monday afternoon. "I didn't know what they were doing with the people."

So he's like all of the German citizens who lived near the concentration camps and didn't know what the smell was? Who turned a blind eye? Wow just wow. Fuck you and GTFO of this country and stand trial in whatever country or entity holds them and plead for mercy. Just because it happened 65 years ago isn't an excuse. He could have left his country years before the war started if he didn't want to be apart of what was going on.

So he's like all of the German citizens who lived near the concentration camps and didn't know what the smell was? Who turned a blind eye? Wow just wow. Fuck you and GTFO of this country and stand trial in whatever country or entity holds them and plead for mercy. Just because it happened 65 years ago isn't an excuse. He could have left his country years before the war started if he didn't want to be apart of what was going on.

Do you know what they do at the large factory or warehouse 5 miles from your house? They could be wiping cats, dogs, horses, or people out by the hundreds right under your nose.

The concentration camps were kept very secret for a long time. There were many in both the Nazi party and the German Army that didn't know they existed until after Wannsee. We didn't know they existed until after the war.

Very few German civilians had any idea what was going on. This is what happens when you let government power run unchecked.

The concentration camps were kept very secret for a long time. There were many in both the Nazi party and the German Army that didn't know they existed until after Wannsee. We didn't know they existed until after the war.

Very few German civilians had any idea what was going on. This is what happens when you let government power run unchecked.
information regarding the camps was classified for national security reasons.

goes to show how much ground that excuse can cover.

The nuances of life in wartime Germany cannot be learned from watching Band of Brothers. Not only did the general public not know what was going on for the most part, but they would have refused to believe it even if they had been told. Which, coincidentally, is exactly what happened. But we aren't talking about the general public. We're talking about an SS guard, which is the only reason they care.

I'm going to assume that he knew exactly what was going on, and I'm also going to assume that he, like so many others, disagreed with the brutality but found themselves in a situation they could not escape alive from once they got in. So he kept his mouth shut, waited out the war, and then fled to pursue a new life with his fingers crossed. Which anyone with a dose of humanity would have done. Self preservation and fear are powerful motivators in those circumstances.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but you're damn right it does. The grunts are the ONLY ones to get in trouble these days...

Well, you cant expect officers to prosecute officers, now can you? Thats what enlisted men are for! To do the dirty work, soak up bullets, and be the occasional scapegoat!

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

it's liek saying to a vet living in vetinam. "Oh you were with the green berets, So we have to deport you becasue of what your section of the military did during vetinam.