Advice Should OOD go back to school?

What should OOD do? Select all that apply.

• Get the Associate in Arts

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Get the Associate in Computer Tech

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Neither. Associate degrees are worthless

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Neither. All forms of higher education are worthless

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OOD

Yet ANOTHER ! Beautiful Bearded Rashner
Apr 16, 2016
Marklar
₥44,669
I'm thinking about getting an associate degree in arts for a couple of reasons.

1. I might be able to get it at no cost.
2. I current have enough credits to get it done in 2 semesters.
3. I can do it online.

It would take me 3 semesters to get a computer tech associate degree instead of the A.A. would a computer related associate degree even help me get a job in a related field?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Do what you enjoy.

Computer tech vs arts are two pretty different fields.
I wouldn't mind doing both, but I need to pick one I guess. I could always get the A.A. And then get a B.A later with a minor in Computer science. Most of the credits should transfer. I don't know if I'm willing to put the time or money into a B.A. though.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
are you good at drawing? what do you already know about computers?
Can't draw at all. An Associate in art wouldn't involve any drawing though. It's mostly social sciences, humanities, and literature.

I once made a mod for minecraft using JavaScript and one time I used css (I think) to change the color of a webpage. I also made one of those hello world "websites" with html but didn't get far with it. Out of those three languages, JavaScript makes the most logical sense to me; I can understand how to to read some of it but I can't create much from it. I can mod a little because the code is already there and I just manipulate it and guess until it's right.

Most importantly, I know to try turning it off and on again.

Can't draw at all. An Associate in art wouldn't involve any drawing though. It's mostly social sciences, humanities, and literature.

I once made a mod for minecraft using JavaScript and one time I used css (I think) to change the color of a webpage. I also made one of those hello world "websites" with html but didn't get far with it. Out of those three languages, JavaScript makes the most logical sense to me; I can understand how to to read some of it but I can't create much from it. I can mod a little because the code is already there and I just manipulate it and guess until it's right.

Most importantly, I know to try turning it off and on again.
why not both ood baba, is it possible?
im seriously learning how to cook and bake these days and there are some great videos online for that :)

Oh I don’t really have an opinion I just wanted to vote for all the options.

What do you intend to do with your degree?
I would love to work for myself, and I don't want to open a shop that just exists to have people walk in and by products, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not what I want, even though I think I would be fairly good at it.

I dont really have any skills. So I would hope to gain some from school and apply them in the real world. I guess I do have skills but none that help me with flexibility or originality.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and adi
why not both ood baba, is it possible?
im seriously learning how to cook and bake these days and there are some great videos online for that :)
If I did both, I would just bite the bullet and get a bachelor degree. It would look better than two associate degrees. It would also cost me much more, but the internet tells me that education is "good debt" to take on.

Cooking is so awesome. It's a true art. The most valuable art in my opinion. I probably could learn a lot online with coding. I've been looking into it. I'm not sure of the best sources though.

If I did both, I would just bite the bullet and get a bachelor degree. It would look better than two associate degrees. It would also cost me much more, but the internet tells me that education is "good debt" to take on.

Cooking is so awesome. It's a true art. The most valuable art in my opinion. I probably could learn a lot online with coding. I've been looking into it. I'm not sure of the best sources though.
keep searching ood baba youll figure out which sources are better :)
ya cooking is awesome :) baking is a little more "scientific" cooking is more feel
of the two i like cooking more it is more enjoyable but im kind of better at baking though its too soon to tell i just started heeee

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and OOD
Wow, wish you so much luck with this. If you like tweaking code for an immediate result javascript is about as easy as it gets today.
Lot of javascript is used in websites - maybe an intro to javascript would be good, but an html class really should come before it.
Css vs. Html - a css is a page where html describes things like page colors, fonts,etc so you don't have to do that on every page, only make a reference to the css page on each page. 1 sentence vs a page or more .

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: OOD
I would love to work for myself, and I don't want to open a shop that just exists to have people walk in and by products, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just not what I want, even though I think I would be fairly good at it.

I dont really have any skills. So I would hope to gain some from school and apply them in the real world. I guess I do have skills but none that help me with flexibility or originality.

Become a tattoo artist. No skills required these days.

69218008-1084-4B12-ACAA-BCB70EBEF9B0.jpeg

I probably could learn a lot online with coding. I've been looking into it. I'm not sure of the best sources though.
Really good site for getting rolling is https://www.w3schools.com Sections on HTML, CSS, JS, Python, Bootstrap, JQuery,etc. All free, lots of great examples and lessons to work through.
*If you don't know this . . . Depending on your browser setup, if you right click on a web page one of the choices is "Inspect". That will show the HTML for the page. IF you block in a particular area on the page before that, it will show the HTML just for that area. You can copy code from there, including Javascripts that don't need additional files(e.g. simple calculators,etc.), see how other people accomplished some effect and if you change the HTML in the Inspect window you can see changes in real time on the page. Granted it is not a permanent change, just of what is on screen at the time.