Should New Orleans be rebuilt?

lemon_fresh said:
Rebuild it, not just yes, but HELL YES. With government funds even.

Why? Well for starters, sentimentality. It's a city that has a special place in our nations history and psyche. Plus it would be nice to think that as a nation, if my hometown were destroyed that my fellow citizens would be caring enough to see it restored to it's former glory.

Another reason: Were the f'ing United States. We have the resources and capabilities to rebuild NO. If we can spend billions "rebuilding" Iraq, we sure as hell can spend billions, trillions, even rebuilding a US city.

And last but not lease, what else would we do with the money. I mean seriously, we spend in excess of $300billion a year on defense in this country. We build weapons which we never use and then have to spend more $$ dismantling them when they get too old. If we spent the money rebuilding NO, at least that money would go towards something, imho, a little more meaningful than guns and bombs. Cause remember kiddies, lots of our defense spending is welfare for rich people. I see there being a hell of a lot more "trickle down" with a rebuilding effort than what is seen from the defense industry.

Just my $.02 + $.03 fuel surcharge.
They're still going to spend all that money on all that stuff anyways in addition to all the money that will be dumped into rebuilding NO.

However, the plus side is that anyone involved in rebuilding will benefit because it will stimulate a stagnant economy. It's like the New Deal but on a state-level.

I just thoguht you all would like to join me in a small laugh. All the "big bosses" just got out of a meeting and now the subject matter of the meeting is circulating. All of our homes are on hold until further notice because our suppliers of plywood have designated that 75% goes to NO relief and another 20% is designated for the homes in the area for hurricane sutters. Now, we can't afford to sell our homes at the contracted prices because the cost of that last 5% of plywood has shot through the roof. HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS PLACE IS GOING UNDER!!!!

Bubbles said:
I just thoguht you all would like to join me in a small laugh. All the "big bosses" just got out of a meeting and now the subject matter of the meeting is circulating. All of our homes are on hold until further notice because our suppliers of plywood have designated that 75% goes to NO relief and another 20% is designated for the homes in the area for hurricane sutters. Now, we can't afford to sell our homes at the contracted prices because the cost of that last 5% of plywood has shot through the roof. HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS PLACE IS GOING UNDER!!!!
My that sucks ass

Another case of counting chickens before they hatch

Bubbles said:
paper mache + Tyvek

Bubbles said:

*cough* Dietrich Metal Framing *cough*

Put the idea in their heads. We all profit.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Modern straw bale housing is easy, energy efficient, and environmentally friendly. Should be loads cheaper than the plywood.

Pfft, if the walls were made of hay bales where would I stuff the dead hookers?