Halp Should I jump on this?

He's telling me to get a console only.

I'm telling him that before I even made this thread, that wasn't an option. X-box1 requires use of resources that other family members would need. PC doesn't. Therefore, just saying get a console is not the point of this thread. It also puts an assumption that an Xbox1 isn't already in the plans later on anyways.

No, what I'm saying now is that it would be a mistake to buy a PC right now with the next-gen consoles on the horizon. YOU WILL HAVE TO UPGRADE THIS FALL (or at the latest next spring).

Do none of the PC crowd remember how badly PCs lagged behind consoles for the first like 2 years? Unless you had cutting-edge hardware you had terrible textures and framerates for shit that the dedicated hardware of the consoles were playing fine.

Last edited:
No, what I'm saying now is that it would be a mistake to buy a PC right now with the next-gen consoles on the horizon. YOU WILL HAVE TO UPGRADE THIS FALL (or at the latest next spring).

Do none of the PC crowd remember how badly PCs lagged behind consoles for the first like 2 years? Unless you had cutting-edge hardware you had terrible textures and framerates for sh*t that the dedicated hardware of the consoles were playing fine.

I never had to upgrade with any other release of a console before. My PC is 8 years old....that's why I'm upgrading it.

Do none of the PC crowd remember how badly PCs lagged behind consoles for the first like 2 years? Unless you had cutting-edge hardware you had terrible textures and framerates for shit that the dedicated hardware of the consoles were playing fine.

not at all. PCs were more powerful than both the xbox360 and the ps3 before they even launched.

If it makes you happy, then yes :)

I'm not even going to read the specs but since I saw this I wanted to give wifely approval. I mean you don't nit pick my computers to death so I don't want to do yours :)

What games are out there, exclusive to PC, that are really worth the $1k investment? You could go out and get a $99 Xbox 360 to play from now until November (you could then get an XB1) and probably get a lot more bang for buck because the library of games in the used market is MASSIVE.

To be fair, there are dozens of indie projects out there that will never, ever be seen on a console. Kerbal Space Program is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Prison Architect looks fascinating and will probably get purchased once it's out of alpha. FTL is super slick and super fun-- it's billed as a Roguelike with spaceships, but I think it's more aptly described as a crisis management simulator. Of course, speaking of simulators, you won't see any kind of high fidelity sim like IL2 Sturmovik, Dawn of Flight, or the Silent Hunter series on any console ever. Same thing with any sort of 4x turn based strategy game.

Now I don't know if Luis is into any of that sort of thing. If he has no interest in it then fine, maybe a console is the way to go, but there's entire worlds of gaming out there that the X-bone will never visit.

edit: and, for what it's worth, the gaming rigs me and Eileen use are already three or four years old, and there still isn't anything that they can't run. Did I spend more on them than a then current console? Yes, but the versatility is unmatched.

Last edited:
k, I guess I'm the only one capable of remembering that far back.

Release date of hardware in my machine: 2003
Release date of XBox 360: 2005

Date of considering upgrading my PC: 2013
Date of considering upgrading XBox: 2013

First year I wasn't able to actually play the games that was coming out for PC: 2007

Combined time of use on XBox 360 since it was purchased: Approximately 7 total months of usage. (Meaning 24 hours of usage = 1 day - Not just using it once means using it that day)
Combined time of use on PC since it was purchased: Approximately 7 total years of usage. (Meaning 24 hours of usage = 1 day - Not just using it once means using it that day)

Last edited:
To be fair, there are dozens of indie projects out there that will never, ever be seen on a console. Kerbal Space Program is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Prison Architect looks fascinating and will probably get purchased once it's out of alpha. FTL is super slick and super fun-- it's billed as a Roguelike with spaceships, but I think it's more aptly described as a crisis management simulator. Of course, speaking of simulators, you won't see any kind of high fidelity sim like IL2 Sturmovik, Dawn of Flight, or the Silent Hunter series on any console ever. Same thing with any sort of 4x turn based strategy game.

Now I don't know if Luis is into any of that sort of thing. If he has no interest in it then fine, maybe a console is the way to go, but there's entire worlds of gaming out there that the X-bone will never visit.

edit: and, for what it's worth, the gaming rigs me and Eileen use are already three or four years old, and there still isn't anything that they can't run. Did I spend more on them than a then current console? Yes, but the versatility is unmatched.

TSRH

I'm not even getting into the games funded by Kickstater or Indiegogo (European Crowd funding Service) such as Wasteland 2, Broken Age, Project: Eternity, ex cetera.

TSRH

I'm not even getting into the games funded by Kickstater or Indiegogo (European Crowd funding Service) such as Wasteland 2, Broken Age, Project: Eternity, ex cetera.

You see that some dumbass painintheass fuckwit lawyers made the guys that created BG: EE pull it from sale and are trying to make them deactivate all sold copies?

just so you're aware coqui, newegg is far from the best or cheapest place to buy from anymore. Theyre customer service is shit now, their shipping is slow, and their prices are high. I dont know when they fell from their good stature, but it was probably around the same time they started selling cookware and tshirts.....

Lo

just so you're aware coqui, newegg is far from the best or cheapest place to buy from anymore. Theyre customer service is sh*t now, their shipping is slow, and their prices are high. I dont know when they fell from their good stature, but it was probably around the same time they started selling cookware and tshirts.....

Lo

If I did this, I'd be buying local (as you can see from the pricing in the initial list). Neweggs website, however, is pretty good for sharing what you're looking for though, so even if I don't buy from there, I still link from that.

That being said, other than Amazon, any other options for online retailers? (I don't have an issue with Amazon,l I just already know about them)

If I did this, I'd be buying local (as you can see from the pricing in the initial list). Neweggs website, however, is pretty good for sharing what you're looking for though, so even if I don't buy from there, I still link from that.

Funny how this has changed. I check Microcenter too since their prices are really good in general. Amazon sometimes beats them, and for laptops Best Buy does as well, but in general I like shopping there.

amazon is pretty decent. Microcenter despite being a brick and mortar is quite competitive with online stores