Should I go to Cleveland Pride today?

Sarcasmo said:
Oh, and for those of you (straight or gay) who think that gay pride parades are merely an 'innocent celebration of queer culture and their longing to be accepted', do me a favor and run a google image search for "gay pride parade" and tell me what you see.

Then find me an average rational person who DOESN'T think that that could be considered throwing your sexuality in someone's face.

My thoughts exactly.

It it were a group of people out walking with signs just to show their numbers and the fact that they are not afraid to be who they are that would be one thing.

But wearing leather chain-clad chaps with no pants and a biker hat and yelling "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!" does not qualify as passive demonstration.

KNYTE said:
My thoughts exactly.

It it were a group of people out walking with signs just to show their numbers and the fact that they are not afraid to be who they are that would be one thing.

But wearing leather chain-clad chaps with no pants and a biker hat and yelling "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!" does not qualify as passive demonstration.

We call that Gaydi Gras!!!!!!

I can actually see both sides of the Pride argument here... On one hand I think the fact that there is a polarized gay subculture shows that mainstream culture hasn't fully made a place for gays. Why else would there be a need for this subculture? I really think Pride is a time set aside for like minded people to come together and just be themselves. It's not just about sex, at least it shouldn't be IMHO, there's more to subcultures than bedroom preferences. There's been a lot of 'separate isn't equal' talk about this here, but IMHO subcultures aren't a bad thing. Most people might turn to their immediate social group (family/friends/coworkers) to share and explore their interests. But not everyone has the same interests and tastes as their immediate social circle. HELLO INTERNETZ FORUM PEOPLE why do you post here instead of emailing your sister about docking tubes? Most GLBT's can't turn to family/friends because they would be ostracized for their views and interests. I would sooner ask my husband to watch a 'chick flick' with me than ask my parents to watch Pricilla Queen of the Desert. Pride helps give people a sense of community where they can gain strength and comfort from others which EVERYONE needs.

And Pride isn't just about large burly men in chaps on a parade float or dykes in pasties. Sure the loudest and most flamboyant seem to steal the spotlight. Perhaps some attendees at these festivals might focus on "in your face sexuality". But they aren't doing anyone any favors. There are public decency standards for a reason.

Pandora said:
There's been a lot of 'separate isn't equal' talk about this here, but IMHO subcultures aren't a bad thing.
Cool, I'm a huge proponent of seperate but equal schools, hospitals, buses, rights.

Pandora said:
HELLO INTERNETZ FORUM PEOPLE why do you post here instead of emailing your sister about docking tubes?

My sis has a restraining order against me for a reason.

And I'm pretty sure Thrawn's sister has some pretty penetrating conversations with him, if you know what I mean.

Pandora said:
Please. :rolleyes: I'm sure you can use that HUMUNGOUS brain of yours to understand what I'm getting at. Or do I need to use more words to connect the dots for you Mr. Smartass?
I could but it's way more fun and enlightening to openly incite people through antagonization.

I can clearly see the point of your post and reject it simply because I do not share anything personal except with a few well chosen confidants. Even if I did not have them I would not feel the urge to tell anyone anything.

Expressing my opinion on this forum is a clear exception to this. FWIW Most people who I've met think I have absolutely no opinion on anything.