Ontopic Should California and Oregon seek secession?

thats what parents are for. Parents have a fundamental responsibility to educate their children above, beyond, and outside of what their taxes pay for.

& not necessarily 'above.' There's accelerated classes that, if the kid would benefit from them, the parent needs to be on top of, and suggest the kid get bumped up. But more than that, the parent needs to be very supportive and involved with what the kid is actually doing at school.

The funniest part of everyone on the planet knowing exactly what a parent should be is that their own kids all end up being jackasses.

• Gravy
Reactions: Lambie
& not necessarily 'above.' There's accelerated classes that, if the kid would benefit from them, the parent needs to be on top of, and suggest the kid get bumped up. But more than that, the parent needs to be very supportive and involved with what the kid is actually doing at school.
My older sister got bumped up a grade after years of fighting and then fucked on class rank because they only counted one year worth of credits the year she took two years' worth. Would have been valedictorian otherwise. I had an IEP and all that with some next-grade classes but it was still no challenge even in honors/AP courses.

Some schools don't/won't/can't handle it well. Not everywhere has many options outside or is willing to go for them supplementally.

they gave away the valedictorian every year when i was in high school to the special needs kids. It was pretty impossible for them to not have a 4.0, and we didnt have weighted GPAs that gave more points for AP. So there was always the kid with down' syndrome that would have a perfect 4.0

My older sister got bumped up a grade after years of fighting and then fucked on class rank because they only counted one year worth of credits the year she took two years' worth. Would have been valedictorian otherwise. I had an IEP and all that with some next-grade classes but it was still no challenge even in honors/AP courses.

Some schools don't/won't/can't handle it well. Not everywhere has many options outside or is willing to go for them supplementally.

My high school didn't have any problem putting kids in advanced math who could handle it, but that just meant I fulfilled my math requirments by the 10th grade and could spend those hours during my junior and senior years trying to get the preachers daughter drunk enough to quit with the teasing and follow through for once.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
they gave away the valedictorian every year when i was in high school to the special needs kids. It was pretty impossible for them to not have a 4.0, and we didnt have weighted GPAs that gave more points for AP. So there was always the kid with down' syndrome that would have a perfect 4.0
Some poor Asian kid got grounded until he went away to M.I.T. .

pffft, there are no asian people in Vermont.

Or black people

Or hispanic people

Sounds like rural Minnesota. The "race relations" consisted of Norwegians and Germans and Swedes making fun of each other.

it was the greek stonecarvers, vs the italian marblesmiths, vs the old school farmers that had just been there since always.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Do you really think you are the only person here with a high IQ?
I'm sure everyone here thinks they have a high IQ but the reality is most of us are most likely right in the middle of that curve.

No one here is a special genius in any capacity. Except maybe the one lady with a doctorate.

thats what parents are for. Parents have a fundamental responsibility to educate their children above, beyond, and outside of what their taxes pay for.
While true if they fail to do so and the schools don't compensate we ultimately end up paying for it. So it's better to mitigate the consequences of parents who fail or who are simply too overworked or uneducated themselves to help much.

All the IQ in the world does not foster wisdom.
I agree with the proponents of EQ whether it's real or not.
Take a real life Sheldon Cooper, slice him down to say IQ 128 or so, median bright.
With his lack of EQ he'd be in constant trouble, unable to hold jobs of merit due to character flaws.
"Goodwill Hunting Lite".

This is some cerebral shit right here ^