Seriously, how does gaydar work?

April23 said:
It wasn't socially acceptable thirty years ago, so it was MUCH better hidden. I kinda guess the hand flipping and dressing is part of the culture nowadays.

yes, but often, it's not even the mannerisms. a well manicured man with soft features, and you think he's gay -- and i think often, you're correct. men were so much more rugged back then, and even if they were gay, they still spoke the same way, dressed the same way...but their features were different. i seriously believe that gay men's features today are softer or something. it's hard to explain. :iono:

theacoustician said:
I wasn't really kidding. Why is it funny to pretend to be gay in 80% of the threads and not funny to really be gay?
I'd like to throw a vote for 'acting gay' not being funny. In moderation, maybe, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THREAD just makes me automatically ignore most posts by Drool and Elpmis.

Theac, it's actually a very good question. I think about it whenever it comes up, and especially after I told Dbzeag to quit being so damn gay all the time. :fly:

Actually, though, what I told him was to post about other stuff just so I could learn a bit about him as a person. I didn't mean to quit being gay.

But anyway, I don't know the difference. I don't act gay all the time though. I get tired of the same old jokes all the time too.

theacoustician said:
I wasn't really kidding. Why is it funny to pretend to be gay in 80% of the threads and not funny to really be gay?
Maybe it's only funny because it's slightly ironic? Would it be more amusing if dbzeag acted straight? :confused:

FlyNavy said:
Maybe it's only funny because it's slightly ironic? Would it be more amusing if dbzeag acted straight? :confused:
I don't know. I actually just wanted to know. I know I think its old as hell and a bit of a double standard, but then again, I know why opinion rarely lines up with people around here. I thought it was just something I was missing.

theacoustician said:
I don't know. I actually just wanted to know. I know I think its old as hell and a bit of a double standard, but then again, I know why opinion rarely lines up with people around here. I thought it was just something I was missing.
I'd also like to know.

Thorn Bird said:
yes, but often, it's not even the mannerisms. a well manicured man with soft features, and you think he's gay -- and i think often, you're correct. men were so much more rugged back then, and even if they were gay, they still spoke the same way, dressed the same way...but their features were different. i seriously believe that gay men's features today are softer or something. it's hard to explain. :iono:

Maybe it's part of the evolution of homosexuals.

I have no gaydar. I can never tell. Even when I did the lobbying for the Human Rights Campaign and had to sit in a room full of 500 people supporting the cause, it never even occured to me that most of them were probably gay. I think it's partly because I'm really unobservant. Mostly though, I think it's because I don't care. Why is it important to know what everyone you meet does in the sack?

As for dbzeag's comments here, if he is gonna post about being gay, isn't this an appropriate thread to do it in? His comments were on topic and I thought funny. Perhaps we think that sometimes he defines himself too much by his sexuality and needs to find ways to contribute without bringing it up all the time, but itt I think it was warrented. He makes me giggle a lot, and I don't think it should be discouraged. :)

eileenbunny said:
As for dbzeag's comments here, if he is gonna post about being gay, isn't this an appropriate thread to do it in? His comments were on topic and I thought funny. ... He makes me giggle a lot, and I don't think it should be discouraged. :)

i agree

"that's like telling the NWA to stop being black..."

eileenbunny said:
I have no gaydar. I can never tell. Even when I did the lobbying for the Human Rights Campaign and had to sit in a room full of 500 people supporting the cause, it never even occured to me that most of them were probably gay. I think it's partly because I'm really unobservant. Mostly though, I think it's because I don't care. Why is it important to know what everyone you meet does in the sack?

As for dbzeag's comments here, if he is gonna post about being gay, isn't this an appropriate thread to do it in? His comments were on topic and I thought funny. Perhaps we think that sometimes he defines himself too much by his sexuality and needs to find ways to contribute without bringing it up all the time, but itt I think it was warrented. He makes me giggle a lot, and I don't think it should be discouraged. :)
it was an amusing comment, no doubt :p