Seperation Anxiety

Candy

Flaccid Member
Jun 10, 2005
In a house with a Purple Room
Marklar
₥0
Anyone familiar with seperation anxiety in dogs? After 11 years, one of my two most beautiful, beloved animals has developed a severe case and we cannot seem to remedy it. The Vet gave me something similar to Zoloft for dogs, I have given him xanex (although maybe not a high enough dosage) and even benedryl to try and knock him out.

We have now bought him a crate, and he freaks out even worse and has started to shit and piss himself while inside. If you listen for the first five minutes he thingks you are gone he just howls. It is so sad. When he was much younger he always had a crate and loved it. The crate is now all we have to prevent him from destrying the house. After 11 years, what do you do???

Pics of said dogs to follow... maybe that will generate some sympathy advice :(

You shouldn't give animals people medicine, many times it can have the opposite effect on animals as it does humans... I know valium makes cats hyper as hell ...

Anyway, has anything changed to make the dog freak out like that? What breed is he? At 11, he may be getting doggy alzheimer's :(

Pics of teh puppahs

Bayou Lane 2005 024.jpg

Bayou Lane 2005 044.jpg

Bayou Lane 2005 081.jpg

Bayou Lane 2005 084.jpg

I'm going with the dog is getting old and a little senile. I think the only real thing to do is crate train him/her like you were crate training a puppy again and see if you can get them to calm down a bit more.

Sarcasmo said:
So about what percentage of your time would you say is actually spent in track suits?

OH MY. Forgot about the last pic. All winter long. I have five different pairs, all in different colors. E-dubb and I actually own two or three matching that we actually will wear in public together.

They have been put away for now.

Track 5 said:
OH MY. Forgot about the last pic. All winter long. I have five different pairs, all in different colors. E-dubb and I actually own two or three matching that we actually will wear in public together.

:fly:

Thorn Bird said:
no advice here, but you're hot!!!! :drool:

What about me?
:confused:

zengirl said:
You shouldn't give animals people medicine

Most doggy meds are the same as people meds, but in smaller doses. They have a different rate of metabolizing things and have a few items that don't agree with them, but we are all mammals.

BTW - grapes and raisins are about as bad as chocolate.

Track 5 said:

Yes, it's fuckin' ridiculous. They look like P Diddy's fuckin' pit crew.

btw:
Presently, the most accepted method for treating separation anxiety involves planned departures. This method involves gradually adjusting the dog to being alone by exposure to many short departures. Because the stress response occurs very shortly after the owner's departure (within 30 minutes), the dog should only be left alone for very short intervals at first (seconds to minutes) to ensure the owner returns before the onset of anxiety. Before the departure period can be increased, the owner must be certain that the dog is not stressed. The owner must closely watch the dog for signs of anxiety and ensure that the dog does not engage in an extended greeting. After the short departures have reached the 30 minute mark, the length of time the dog is left can be increased by larger increments. Once the dog can be left alone for 1.5 hours, it can usually be left all day. Departure and return should be made as quiet and uneventful as possible to avoid overstimulating the dog. The dog should not be given attention prior to departures nor given attention and praise upon returns. Excessive attention prior to departure and upon return seem to increase the anxiety during separation and it does NOT make it easier on the dog as most people suspect. Safety cues may also be used to associate with the short departures (Voith and Borchelt 1985). The T.V. or radio can be left on or an acceptable chew toy may be provided for the dog. However, it is very important that the safety cue is not an item that the dog already associates with anxiety. These cues help the dog relate to a previous safe period of isolation.

shawndavid said:
What about me?
:confused:

i'm sorry! i thought you were hot too, but i didn't know you posted here! i'm still somewhat new and still don't have everyone figured out --especially the couples. i'm spange's wife, btw...