Separation of church and state?

Hmm.... I think what most of you are getting at is we have seperation of church and state, just not of religion and state. A church does not a religion make.

Pandora said:
Okay..... then should I say in practical application this country has never had seperation of church and state? Just because the founding fathers were wise enough to write that little detail in doesn't mean the country have ever actually followed it.
There's a difference in having another organization exert direct control and someone's personal morals - which could stem from their personal religion, influence affairs of state.

Bush being of a certain religion and having his own morals affecting his decisions is no different than someone claiming to be an atheist having their own morals affect their decisions.

Pandora said:
Okay..... then should I say in practical application this country has never had seperation of church and state? Just because the founding fathers were wise enough to write that little detail in doesn't mean the country have ever actually followed it.
I would spin it as more people used to be independent and wanted to think for themselves. They had a government, but it was as barebones as they thought they could get away with so it would stay out of their business. Now people want someone else to do all their work/thinking for them, be it the government or the church.

zengirl said:
Well, until someone got bored, needed a little attention and decided that they could feel smart by pointing out a flaw in the system and making a big deal over something that shouldn't really matter in the first place.
Or someone who had nothing else to do because they forgot all their passwords thought they could outsmart someone else because they forgot the historical context of the quote.

Theocracies are VERY dangerous. Every single example in history has failed utterly to protect and uphold its citizens.

theacoustician said:
Or someone who had nothing else to do because they forgot all their passwords thought they could outsmart someone else because they forgot the historical context of the quote.
Hey, my government teacher was hot, you'd have a hard time paying attention too

theacoustician said:
I never had any hot teachers in school :(
He was fresh out of college and ended up marrying a student right after she graduated... we all felt that we had a chance

I think the majority of the electorate should have thought about this before they swept a bible nut and his cronies to power twice.