Ontopic Search isn't broken now NOOBS - New BOOKS thread

On my 4th Terry Pratchett book now @Mr. Argumentor

Theyre pretty darn good now. Man Colour of Magic was rough though. What a nonsensical mess that was, there was no flow at all. Its his first book, i know, but that was just not good.

Good worldbuilding though that made the later books better.

BTW, started the new Andy Weir book. Another neat science textbook masquerading as a novel

Amazon product ASIN B08FHBV4ZX
just finished that one a couple of days ago. It was a solid popcorn read, overall I liked The Martian better.

You know how everything goes terribly wrong at every turn in the martian? This one is the opposite, where a handy solution is always present for every problem

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Finished reading the Three Body Problem. First major sci-fi book by a chinese author, written in chinese to sweep all the major awards. English translation was quite good, but the cultural insight that the author wrote into the book was really interesting.

The characters are just so different from those written by western authors. There are no heroes, theres no rash decisions or people going against orders. All the characters stay in their societal roles, dont question their superiors, and do what theyre told..... Even in the middle of the cultural revolution.

On top of all that, the story is a bit of a mindfuck and certainly twists your brain around some really complex stuff that makes you think, very philosophical sometimes.

coo coo. Ill follow my standard modus operandi and read everything he has ever written in order.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
evne if a book or two turns me off, I tend to keep going.

The Colour of Magic was a pretty rough read to be honest. Disjointed and not that compelling of a story. But i powered through and by the time I got to Mort, Going Postal, etc I was hooked.

Going Postal is my favorite of all the Pratchett books.

Only author I couldnt do that with was King. Fuck i hate his books. He's a very skilled author, but I just cant do it.

Going Postal is good, but I like the last few books of his.

What is it about King that doesn't do it for you?
I think its just the nature of humanity in every one of them. There are a few barely good people, and the rest of humanity are the true monsters in every story. Its written so well that its depressing.

Ive only read It and The Stand though, but was left with that same feeling from both of them. Worse from IT obviously.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
For those interested, I thought this was good work. Not nearly as divisive as some tomes on feminism.

Just got Stephen King's "If It Bleeds". Plan on indulging myself by not doing a lick of work for the first 2-3 days after the wife goes back to work the day after Labor Day.
I think its just the nature of humanity in every one of them. There are a few barely good people, and the rest of humanity are the true monsters in every story. Its written so well that its depressing.

Ive only read It and The Stand though, but was left with that same feeling from both of them. Worse from IT obviously.
I totally get this. His book "Dumas Key" - daughter sent it as a gift, I was like WTF after 20-30 pages. Would have pitched it but the wife wanted to read it. Way too depressing.