Ontopic Search isn't broken now NOOBS - New BOOKS thread

I may be the only Stephenson fan on here, but even I was unhappy with SevenEves. It is functionally 2/3 of a trilogy in one book.

Loved the story, loved the world, loved the post-apocalypse, left wanting another 1/3 at least. Maybe even another book that length wrapping everything up.
thats classic Stephenson though. Spend 800 pages building the world, and then conclude the last 1/3rd of the story in a single chapter.

He definitely has gotten worse with it over the years. Snow Crash and the nanotech book weren't that bad, and Cobweb, Zodiac, and Interface didn't do that at all. I think Cryptonomicon was the first to really do that.

I read How We Decide. It was pretty cool. Almost like reading a collection of non-fiction short stories that shed light on the different ways the brain makes good or bad decisions.

@Mr. Asa about halfway through SevenEves. Man, i didnt realize how much the blatent cloned characters of Neil Degrasse Tyson and Elon Musk would annoy me, thats just lazy ass writing.

Also, all the "astronauts" in the original colony are hacks except the ISS chief and the russians.

I may be the only Stephenson fan on here, but even I was unhappy with SevenEves. It is functionally 2/3 of a trilogy in one book.

Loved the story, loved the world, loved the post-apocalypse, left wanting another 1/3 at least. Maybe even another book that length wrapping everything up.
You're not the Stephenson fan here, I loved Anathem, i've read it several times, but I have the same thoughts on SevenEves you echoed.

finished SevenEves. Honestly, not so bad as i thought in regards to the "put one third of the book in 10 pages" shit Stephenson generally does. Snowcrash and Cryptnomicon were far worse in that regard.

the quality of the second "book" was a little weak though.

Starting a Sagan book now, Contact most likely.

I'm halfway through One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. So far it's just as good as the move, not better though, that is a really good movie.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
I'm halfway through One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. So far it's just as good as the move, not better though, that is a really good movie.

It's a really good book. I like how it's a different perspective of the same story.

It's a really good book. I like how it's a different perspective of the same story.
Yeah I was glad of that. One of the guys in my Warzone squad chose it for book club and I was worried I would have been bored to death. The change in perspective really makes you think about what's going on in a different way.

The audiobook is great too. That voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard. Shit made me almost cry in some parts. Sometimes I listen at work when I'm driving around the county.

Last edited:
And the movie takes the safe approach and tells the story from McMurphy's point of view, as well as cutting out significant portions of the horrors of being in a mental institution.

And the movie takes the safe approach and tells the story from McMurphy's point of view, as well as cutting out significant portions of the horrors of being in a mental institution.

And a few characters that have very different outcomes from book to movie.
One of my favorite parts of the book was just a few pages describing them eating in the cafeteria but it was hysterical. Like kids in school only these were grown men in a mental hospital. Can't put everything in the movie I guess.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
If I wanted my movies to be like books I would just read books.