Ontopic Search isn't broken now NOOBS - New BOOKS thread

This book is so fucking good that I'm excited every night to read it.

Amazon product ASIN B07R8QSXYB
First chapter was about bridges, an obvious choice. The second was about Excel. Fascinating shit.
So many of those errors can be classed into two categories, the first is not calculating properly for resonant frequencies and modes. The second is limitations of 32 or 16 bit variables

@fly

This might be something you'd like

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So the guy who wrote the story Enemy Mine (the 1985 movie) was based on wrote another lesser known book that is also sorta a depressing think piece called Sea of Glass about everyone's life being run by a deterministic computer.

I sorted out my office yesterday and have half a bookcase of books unread or half read that I intend to try and work through before buying tons more. Just finished Irvin Yalom's Becoming Myself (very good) and am moving onto a Brene Brown one about leadership I started and got a third of the way through and put down. I'm finding the past few years I can only really consume non-fiction and lose concentrate on fiction, maybe something that will be remedied in a few years time when I'm not studying constantly, but I find it hard to dedicate time to things that aren't giving me some kind of knowledge.

• Gravy
But for books I read recently for anyone who gives a shit or fancies learning cool stuff:

Just finished the audiobook (my second one) called Dopamine Nation about addiction psychology and other neuroscience related bits

Maybe I Don't Belong here by David Harewood (the actor from Homeland etc.) about his bouts with psychosis in his early 20's

Loves Executioner by Irvin Yalom - good classic book

Men Who Hate Women by Laura Bates, chronicles online MRA, incel and other hate groups. Cheery - not

See What You Made Me Do by Jess Hill, all about domestic abuse mainly set in Australia and talking about interventions in different nations to combat abusive men. Really interesting.

Down Below by Leonora Carrington - Really short book about her journey into madness and being in a mental hospital in the early 1910's. Bizarrely written.

All the others are dozens of therapy books that are dry and theory based so whatever.

• Gravy
@fly

This might be something you'd like
You read it?

I couple years back I picked up a book that was a history about the shapes and names of states. Sounded interesting. It was dumb and boring. :lol":

So the guy who wrote the story Enemy Mine (the 1985 movie) was based on wrote another lesser known book that is also sorta a depressing think piece called Sea of Glass about everyone's life being run by a deterministic computer.
Aren't we living that right now?

This book is so fucking good that I'm excited every night to read it.

Amazon product ASIN B07R8QSXYB
First chapter was about bridges, an obvious choice. The second was about Excel. Fascinating shit.
In this vein:

Haven't read it, but comes highly recommended by many people I value for their intelligence, sense of humor, or both. Aka none of you chuckle fucks.

About the 1919 Molasses Flood in Boston

• Gravy
I'm reading Glossy by Nina Sophia Miralles. It's a history of Vogue magazine and really interesting. Lots of great historical information. It's put me onto a female WW2 war photographer called Lee Miller who I'd never heard of before so I will be buying some books about her and maybe a coffee table book of some of her pics.

Just read In Cold Blood finally. Actually pretty good. I was using the library as an office like I normally do (free printing, Office, and wifi) anyway, saw it on the shelf and read the whole thing in two days. Also I think libraries are vastly underutilized. They throw tons of free shit at you and you can sleep in quiet.

So back at the library and I saw a book I'd forgotten about.

"Raptor Red" 1995. It's kinda strange third person account of the life of a utahraptor. It sorta reminds me of the Fox and the Hound but not as well written.

Read Matt Best's autobiography "Thank me for my service", it's about what you'd expect if your familiar with his youtube stuff. I thought it was amusing but very niche.

So back at the library and I saw a book I'd forgotten about.

"Raptor Red" 1995. It's kinda strange third person account of the life of a utahraptor. It sorta reminds me of the Fox and the Hound but not as well written.

Read Matt Best's autobiography "Thank me for my service", it's about what you'd expect if your familiar with his youtube stuff. I thought it was amusing but very niche.
I remember that book. Good ole scholastic book fair