Ontopic Search isn't broken now NOOBS - New BOOKS thread

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
On my 4th Terry Pratchett book now @Mr. Argumentor

Theyre pretty darn good now. Man Colour of Magic was rough though. What a nonsensical mess that was, there was no flow at all. Its his first book, i know, but that was just not good.

Good worldbuilding though that made the later books better.

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
BTW, started the new Andy Weir book. Another neat science textbook masquerading as a novel

Amazon product
just finished that one a couple of days ago. It was a solid popcorn read, overall I liked The Martian better.

You know how everything goes terribly wrong at every turn in the martian? This one is the opposite, where a handy solution is always present for every problem

• Gravy
Reactions: fly

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
Finished reading the Three Body Problem. First major sci-fi book by a chinese author, written in chinese to sweep all the major awards. English translation was quite good, but the cultural insight that the author wrote into the book was really interesting.

The characters are just so different from those written by western authors. There are no heroes, theres no rash decisions or people going against orders. All the characters stay in their societal roles, dont question their superiors, and do what theyre told..... Even in the middle of the cultural revolution.

On top of all that, the story is a bit of a mindfuck and certainly twists your brain around some really complex stuff that makes you think, very philosophical sometimes.