FYI Scientists engineered a version of Bird Flu thats airborne and can kill billions. Yay

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,301
Steam
mattressfish
I dunno if anyone saw this last week:

http://gizmodo.com/5863078/engineered-avian-flu-could-kill-half-the-worlds-humans

Quoted here:
This isn't a movie. It's not a classic Science Fiction book. This is the real story of a scientist who created a virus with the power to litter the Earth with billions of dead bodies.

OK, now breathe. Or maybe don't—the virus is airborne.
In his Netherlands laboratory, virologist Ron Fouchier was experimenting with the avian flu virus to see how it could become even more virulent. (Red flag.) His research involved spreading it throughout a population of ferrets, and he noticed that as the virus reproduced, it adapted to spread even faster. (RED FLAG.) Not worried about ferret flu? Previous research has shown that any strains of influenza that can pass between ferrets can also pass between humans. (RED FLAAAAAAAAAG.) Ten generations later, his efforts had created an airborne strain with the power could kill half the human population. (RED FUCKING FLAG, DUDE!)

Fouchier, who conducted his research at Erasmus Medical Centre admitted that the new strain is "probably one of the most dangerous viruses you can make." He presented his work at the influenza conference in Malta this September. Now he wants to publish his study in a scientific journal, so those responsible for responding to bioterrorism can be prepared for the worst case scenario. Seems like a no-brainer, right? Not exactly. The research has set off alarms among colleagues who are urging Fouchier not to publish, for fear the recipe could wind up in the wrong hands. Some question whether the research should have been done in the first place. Fair point!

Typically H5N1 affects birds, but about 10 years ago it emerged in humans, first in Asia, then traveling around the world. Human cases are rare—about 600 total—but they are deadly, killing about half the people infected.

The reason avian flu isn't more common is because it's not an airborne contagion—at least it hasn't been until now. With the un-engineered version, you have to touch something that's been contaminated to get sick. But Fouchier's version is airborne, meaning being in the vicinity of the disease and breathing it in would be enough to contract it. It's as contagious as the human seasonal flu, but much more deadly. And now Fouchier wants to publish how he made it that way.

His fellow bioterrorism experts are thinking that's maybe not the best idea, because then anyone who got their hands on the paper could reproduce Fouchier's results. Microbial geneticist Paul Keim, an anthrax expert and chair of the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (which will decide whether Fouchier can publish) told Science Insider:

I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one. I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this.

But Fouchier and a handful of other scientists who have performed similar experiments believe publishing would help the scientific community prepare for an H5N1 pandemic. Not publishing, they say, could leave researchers in the dark as to how to respond to an outbreak. But a pandemic made possible in the first place by the publication creates a bit of a chicken and egg question—and that's why the NSAB has an unenviably difficult decision to make.

How the hell do you decide to undergo a study like this? And more importantly, do you think the results should be published?

I think it's very important for scientists to understand this sort of thing. I can't think of a single reason the public should.

Scientists are as much the public as I am a scientist.

That is, until I get my hands on this paper.

austin_powers_mike_myers_as_dr_evil.jpg