FYI Scientists are smart, you're probably not. Listen to science...

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,116
Steam
mattressfish
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150129143030.htm

The Pew Research group did a survey recently and compared the results from scientists with the results from your average mouth breather. Here are some of the results:

* 88% of AAAS scientists think eating GM food is safe, while 37% of the public believes that.

* Using animals for research: 89% of scientists favor it, while 47% of the public backs the idea.

* Safe to eat food raised with pesticide (non-organic): 68% of scientists say that it is, compared with 28% of citizens.

* Are humans mostly causing climate change: 87% of AAAS scientists say we are, while only 50% of the public thinks so.

* Have humans evolved: 98% of scientists say we have, compared with 65% of the public.

So I think the only conclusive proof we have from the study is that America is fucking doomed.

1B8wudk.jpg

So, we didn't have a science thread, and I figured better to recycle than to build from scratch.

Anyway, this is potentially huge.

http://news.sky.com/story/scientist...to-turn-seawater-into-drinking-water-10824271

Scientists in the UK have created a new membrane 'sieve', capable of transforming seawater into drinking water.

The sieve uses the world's thinnest material graphene, a form of carbon, which is just one atom thick and 200 times stronger than steel.

The discovery by a team at the University of Manchester has the potential to revolutionise water filtration across the world, particularly in countries which cannot afford large-scale desalination plants.

While the graphene-oxide membrane had previously been used to filter out large salt crystals, scientists have now found a way to control the pore size of the membrane.

The discovery, which was announced in the Nature Nanotechnology journal, means the graphene layer can now sieve common salts out of salty water, making it safe to drink.

With what? The fresh water you just created, or more salt water?

Since graphene is all man made, I wonder if they could find a way to run a current through it against the ion molecules of the salt to have it just 'drop' off the filter in a recycle action.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas