Schumacher to step in for Massa

not a thing...please edumacate me

Supposing you're not being a sarcastic ass a quick google search produces this:

Fitness of an F1 driver
Imagine driving the fastest cars on earth, imagine the strain this puts on your body. Fitter than football players and leaner than athletes: racing car drivers possess the most finely tuned bodies on earth.
Medical studies consent. During a race a driver must remain calm, focused and in constant communication with the technical team whilst perfectly manoeuvring a highly complex vehicle around and unfamiliar track alongside competitors, travelling at speeds up to 300 kilometres/hour.

All this in an environment where one wrong move can cost lives calls for a sportsman at the very peak of physical and mental strenght. Fifteen years ago drivers achieved this by visiting the gym twice a week. These days they know better.

The heart
A human being has a resting heart rate of around 60 beats/minute, rising to around 150 during a run on the treadmill. David Coulthard (Red Bull Racing Team) has a resting heart rate of 40 beats/minute, rising to 198 beats/minute during a two hour race, a figure - approximately the same as that of a marathon runner crossing the finishing line - which initially stunned medical researchers.

Dr Riccardo Ceccarelli, from Italian sports medicine clinic 'Formula Medicine' and of the Panasonic Toyota Racing Team, explains why a high speed drive can be as challenging as a 26 mile run.

The neck
Ceccarelli "I know of no other sport that places such big demands on the neck muscles. A head and F1 helmet together weigh about 6kg. Add about 4G-Force as experienced when cornering in a Grand Prix, and the neck has to support 24kg."

Diet
Formula One drivers eat much like track and field athletes - carefully regulating their carbohydrate and protein intake. In the lead up to a big race they'll gorge on carbs - pasta and bread - for energy.
Immediately before the race and sometimes throughout, drivers absorb huge amounts of water. Failure to do so could bring on dehydration through sweating - the extreme heat found in a Formula One cockpit means drivers can sweat off up to 3 kg of their body weight during the course of a race.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/1125

Sounds easy eh?

and that's different than any other racing how? it could be planes, powerboats, nascar, whatever...and that article is on a F1 site with the pure intention of portraying themselves as supermen

I dunno, I'm not a scientist or a physicist so I might be wrong in guessing but I suppose with the very low centre of gravity that they have seeing as they're extremely close to the floor, added to the super fast engines and tight corners means there's way more pressure on them than if they were in a normal car. Do NASCAR cars go at 200mph?

Considering we don't have NASCAR here and the impression I get is that it's a bunch of jumped up yokels driving round in a big circle, I think it's safe to say I won't call them athletes anytime soon.

We think alike on this matter.

I think F1 may have gotten rid of some of it this year, or last year.

But didn't they have all those nifty traction-control gadgets 'n such?

Also with the auto-clutch shifting, etc., removes some of the human skill or lack thereof from the equation.

Not sure, I know they have tons of stuff on the steering column nowadays. I guess when they add things at the same time they have to take away because there just isn't enough time for the drivers to compute and then do loads of things at once. I have to say this year's championship has been the most exciting since before Schumacher. When ferrari dominated it kinda killed the sport for like 10 years, last years ending to the season was amazing (cue clip of Ferrari celebrating 10 seconds before end of the last race, then realising they've just lost, that was great) but it's really open now which is great to see.

Yes, NASCAR cars can go 200mph.

And they don't have fancy electronics like F1 cars do.

No, I'm not a fan of NASCAR - but I do think that removing even more of the human element cheapens racing.

Removing the human element from racing? bahahaha

cornering takes x100 more skill than oval racing..

I also get a laugh at the top speed of these vehicles having anything to do with the athleticism required. Anyone can sit in a vehicle going 200mph. Not many can sit in a vehicle going 0 - 60 in under 3 seconds, and 60 - 0 in under 3 seconds, and doing that all race.

Removing the human element from racing? bahahaha

cornering takes x100 more skill than oval racing..

I also get a laugh at the top speed of these vehicles having anything to do with the athleticism required. Anyone can sit in a vehicle going 200mph. Not many can sit in a vehicle going 0 - 60 in under 3 seconds, and 60 - 0 in under 3 seconds, and doing that all race.

Where did I say that oval was better?

I just implied that F1 was better IMO before the electronics.

man if I was a nascar driver Id just set the wheel to the left with a bungi cord and kick back with a 24pack of bud light and a little dvd player showing reruns of hee-haw
awesome