School Strip-Search

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090905/NEWS/909050337/-1/SPORTS09

School officials in Atlantic forced five teenage girls to take off their clothing for a search after a classmate reported $100 missing from her purse, according to the girls' families and two lawyers.

The classmate and a female counselor stood watch in the girls' locker room at Atlantic High School as the five girls removed their clothing, lifted up their underwear, and in one case took off all her clothing, according to lawyers Ed Noethe of Council Bluffs and Matt Hudson of Harlan.

Strip-searching is illegal in Iowa schools.

Dan Crozier, the interim superintendent of the Atlantic school district, said the search took place Aug. 21, the third day of school, during a gym class in the last period of the day.

Crozier said faculty members denied it was a strip-search. "According to our board policy, it was an allowable search," he said.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that no school official has free rein to do intimate searches of students. Making a girl pull the waistband of her underwear away from her body constituted a strip-search, the court ruled.
Michelle West, whose sophomore daughter was one of the Atlantic girls searched, believes there was no justification for the teachers' actions. "It's not like it was a firearm. No one was in any danger. There was no reason for the girls to be strip-searched," she said.

Families said the girls have reacted differently to the embarrassment of the search, and at least one was deeply troubled by it. Three of the five girls' parents hired lawyers, and a fourth family said they intend to do so. They are considering a lawsuit.
The Register chose not to identify the girls.

The superintendent acknowledged that no money was found in the girls' possession, but he declined to share details about the search.

"I guess I really can't comment on that because of confidentiality of those involved," Crozier said.

The girls told their parents that after the classmate reported the missing money, gym teacher Tim Duff consulted with Assistant Principal Paul Croghan. The girls said a new female counselor, whose name they were unsure of, then was called in to supervise the search in the locker room. Crozier confirmed those facts Friday.
The older sister of one of the girls said the teen took off her bra and underwear after specifically asking if she had to do so. She complied because she did not want to cause a scene, the sister said.

Crozier said the faculty denied the searches were strip-searches, but he added that there are different interpretations of what the term means.

"According to the people that we've talked to the first time, and I've talked to them maybe once or twice, they've said it would not fall into that category," he said. "I'm real careful about saying that because it could be interpreted differently."
State education officials said the law is clear — school officials cannot force students to disrobe to search for contraband.

Stupid fucking moron. How could you possible be this stupid? And he's a superintendent?! Prick should now be a registered sex offender.

Time to roll back all laws to 1979. Back when we still did what needed to be done and none of this bullshit.

First, WTF is a girl doing carry $100 in cash to school for

Second, If you really do have a strong suspicion, call the parents, bring them in, have them get the cash, if it exists.

Third, you never hear of boys getting stripped search. Fucking pedophiles in the school system.

Forth, fuck it. humanity sucks, just push the button and end us all now.

fifth, no, fuck that. I wanna live, just off all the fucking lawyers.

they did strip searches down to boxers back when we were in school, which i always thought was bullshit. but guys can handle it, chicks would be a whole different situation.