school - quickest way to an associate's degree?

FlamingGlory said:
AB is not the same as an AA/AS in the US. AA/AS is more like 2 years of a 4 year BA/BS program. There isnt exactly a UK equivalent except for the FdA/FdSc stuff.

IBs arent generally recognized here, we have a domestic system called AP (advanced placement) which you generally do in High School.
Generally AB's are two year courses here. They are sometimes known as an "Access Course", allowing people to persue Law or whatever after doing two years. Slightly better than a UGDip though still not great.

Mostly polytechnics will do AB pathways, but larger Universities generally recognise them on the same sort of level as a good set of A Level's / IB's. It's just a very long and expensive way to get to that level.

Galen said:
Associate Baccalaureate, same thing as associate degree.

Is it possible for you to sit IB examinations? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB) I have a few friends who have done IB's, and from what they say it puts you in the same sort of position as having completed a year of University. This might be desireable for the position you're in. IB's in Maths etc. would pretty much be similar to a diploma in the same thing, but wouldn't be surrounded by the stigma of, as you say, the machinary of diploma's.
FlamingGlory said:
AB is not the same as an AA/AS in the US. AA/AS is more like 2 years of a 4 year BA/BS program. There isnt exactly a UK equivalent except for the FdA/FdSc stuff.

IBs arent generally recognized here, we have a domestic system called AP (advanced placement) which you generally do in High School.
Sarcasmo said:
You CAN test out of things though. I tested out of all my science and math credits when I got (part) of my t-com degree.

I'm still waiting for a clear answer on whether I need to have a degree that required 60 credits, 60 credits toward a degree, and/or just a degree. From my understanding I need either an associate's or 60 credits that can be put toward a bachelor's...but the missing piece of information is whether or not they'll accept an associate's that didn't require 60 credit hours. Expecting a call from my gunnery sgt about that today, once I know precisely what they want I can take that information to the school this weekend.

zengirl said:
How are you getting around the part where you're pretty much legally blind?
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vision/Navy/

edit: http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vision/Navy/RF_surgery/BUMED admin message.doc

edit2: http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vision/Navy/Aviation/SNA_CL_Policy.ppt

Let’s move on to the issue at hand – The SNA Contact Lens Waiver. It is new Navy and USMC policy that applicants that do not meet the uncorrected visual standards can now apply for a SNA Contact Lens Waiver if they are successfully wearing soft contact lenses on a daily wear schedule. In other words, they are not habitually sleeping with the contact lenses on. The lenses of choice are the extended wear disposable lenses (worn on a daily wear schedule) or Frequent Replacement Lenses. For those in the audience that do not know what Frequent Replacement Lenses are, simply put they are disposable lenses with a planned replacement schedule, prescribed for daily wear use. Lenses are included on the approved contact lens list for the waiver policy and are listed in the waiver guide. If the applicant is wearing lenses other than the ones mentioned, NAMI Eye Department will need to be contacted for approval of those lenses. Ridged contact lenses (all materials) are not authorized for this waiver policy.
To be eligible for a waiver, the applicant must demonstrate passing scores on all other vision requirements for SNA (steropsis, color vision, intraocular pressure, phorias) with both contact lenses and spectacles.

Last edited:
FlyNavy said:
PRE-PRK REFRACTIVE ERROR WAS LESS THAN OR EQUAL
TO PLUS OR MINUS 5.50 (TOTAL) DIOPTERS IN ANY MERIDIAN WITH
LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO PLUS OR MINUS 3.00 DIOPTERS OF CYLINDER
AND ANISOMETROPIA LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 3.50 DIOPTERS.

Uh... we're -6.0 and -6.50

zengirl said:
PRE-PRK REFRACTIVE ERROR WAS LESS THAN OR EQUAL
TO PLUS OR MINUS 5.50 (TOTAL) DIOPTERS IN ANY MERIDIAN WITH
LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO PLUS OR MINUS 3.00 DIOPTERS OF CYLINDER
AND ANISOMETROPIA LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 3.50 DIOPTERS.

Uh... we're -6.0 and -6.50
That's from April of 2000. The more recent document:

The “pre-contact lens fit” refraction has the same limits as PRK. The total refractive error can not exceed -8.00/+6.00 diopters. The cylinder component for correcting astigmatism is limited to 2.00 diopters.
Uncorrected visual acuity can not be worse than 20/400 in each eye. This is a problem if the clinician uses the Snellen Acuity Chart to measure uncorrected visual acuity. At NAMI, the applicants know that the top letter on the chart is an “E”. They all report seeing the E, even if the refractive error does not match that acuity. Therefore, the Snellen Acuity Chart 20/400 (single letter) can not be used as a qualifying factor for the waiver. Alternate charts such as the AFVT, Optec, B-VAT or any other chart with multiple letter capabilities must be used to measure the uncorrected acuity.

Floptical said:
Keep in mind that most Commands do not authorize the use of contacts while in a combat zone.
I think what this memo is stating is that a person can have the corrective eye treatment thing done so they no longer need corrective lenses.

As long as you can tell whether someone's skin is white or brown at 100 yards I would think you could be in the armed forces.

Sarcasmo said:
As long as you can tell whether someone's skin is white or brown at 100 yards I would think you could be in the armed forces.
This is more about flying airplanes than it is being in the military

Floptical said:
Keep in mind that most Commands do not authorize the use of contacts while in a combat zone.
Indeed, but if the contacts and PRK requirements remain the same I don't have much to worry about. My vision has been hovering between 6 and 6.5 for the past couple years, the MEPS doc said it was unlikely to get much worse in the near future.

I had a quick talk with an optometry advisor at NS Great Lakes and with one of their consultants that used to be on some important hoity toity organization for orthokeratology and they agreed that within the next couple of years it's highly likely that ortho-k will also be acceptable for aviation/submarine/specops.
Sarcasmo said:
Well I signed up for an 03xx MOS so I could try out for scout/sniper, if I make I think they'll want me spotting brown people at 1000 yards as opposed to 100 :p

Last edited:
Sarcasmo said:
Meh. Those things practically fly themselves these days.
800px-ASW_Fake_FA37_2.jpg

:egads:

FlyNavy said:
the MEPS doc
well good luck on the waivers and all.

but let me tell you

meps docs are the absolute detritus of the earth, period. most cant work elsewhere due to licenses being pulled over lawsuits.

AprilsSCAT said:
well good luck on the waivers and all.

but let me tell you

meps docs are the absolute detritus of the earth, period. most cant work elsewhere due to licenses being pulled over lawsuits.
What is a meps doc and why do they get sued?