Saw this over the weekend.

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
And it was posted on slashdot today, I believe. Basically, some people are worried about the "analog" hole in the current AV systems. Any thoughts on this from the more political minded people here? Suggestions on who to bitch to?

linky

I've tried to warn people this was coming, but people here don't seem to generally care. Or even vote for that matter.

This basically sums it up:
Our Fair Use rights have been on the endangered list for the past several years, and the passage of this legislation would mark a habitat loss so severe that it would threaten the very survival of the species. No matter what the MPAA and RIAA tell us, it's not about piracy. It's about squeezing every last dollar out of our pockets if we want to do anything other than watch a live broadcast.

How this will stop piracy I have no idea. You have an enormous amount of things out there now that will ignore these schemes. All pirates need is to keep their old gear, and they're good to go.

The problem isn't the technology, the problem is people are technology stupid and will listen to any vapid thought that flitters into their ear.

If things keep going like this, one of these days there will be a credit card swiper on the front of all TVs, stereos and dvd players, and youll have to swipe yer card for every piece of media you want to see/hear.

theacoustician said:
The problem isn't the technology, the problem is people are technology stupid and will listen to any vapid thought that flitters into their ear.
That's how every single piece of legislation is passed.

The book may or may not interest you (since it's about diving) but The Lusitania Controversies Book Two has a horrifying and eye-opening section about how the Abandoned Shipwreck Act was passed - which I'm sure is not an unusual happenstance.