Ruby on Rails

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,291
Steam
mattressfish
Does anyone here code in this language and/or dabbled in it? After hearing a lot of chatter about it, I finally did some reading about it here. Wow, it seems intuitive and impressive to say the least. Before I spend more time on it, I wondered if there was some real world experience here.

I'm starting up a side project with someone using this. We haven't actually done too much, yet, but I'm starting to pick up Ruby. Luckily it is a very easy language. And the whole Rails thing seems alright. I don't know if I like the ActiveRecord stuff, but I can see how it would make things faster to develop.

I'm starting up a side project with someone using this. We haven't actually done too much, yet, but I'm starting to pick up Ruby. Luckily it is a very easy language. And the whole Rails thing seems alright. I don't know if I like the ActiveRecord stuff, but I can see how it would make things faster to develop.

From what you've seen so far, does it live up to its own hype? "Web development that doesn't hurt."

I watched a streaming video of some guy coding in it. It looked wicked fast and easy. Of course, whoever made the video was probably really good at it, but still.

From what you've seen so far, does it live up to its own hype? "Web development that doesn't hurt."

Hard to say. I do think it lives up to the hype of being easier to do than Java. I think that is mainly from lack of choice and big name support, though. I would wager that Java is more scalable and robust and such, but with the relatively cheap cost of computers nowdays, I think that is a moot point.

Seriously, so far I think the main reason it is so easy is almost directly because of the lack of choices. You don't have to pick what framework you are doing. You don't have to worry about what application server you are running under. You don't have to give too much thought to what database you are going to be running. You don't have to give ANY thought to how the database will be designed. All of these are ultimately great things, but they also mean you are going to be limited to new projects only, in a lot of cases.

What about you? Any thoughts?

meh, I'll stick with J2EE for most and .NET for those clients that get M$ hardons.

I might play with this a little at home though.

Hard to say. I do think it lives up to the hype of being easier to do than Java. I think that is mainly from lack of choice and big name support, though. I would wager that Java is more scalable and robust and such, but with the relatively cheap cost of computers nowdays, I think that is a moot point.

Seriously, so far I think the main reason it is so easy is almost directly because of the lack of choices. You don't have to pick what framework you are doing. You don't have to worry about what application server you are running under. You don't have to give too much thought to what database you are going to be running. You don't have to give ANY thought to how the database will be designed. All of these are ultimately great things, but they also mean you are going to be limited to new projects only, in a lot of cases.

What about you? Any thoughts?

I was pretty impressed by the small coding demo and the minimal documentation that I've read. I really don't have anything in mind to put the rubber to the road, but will probably test it when I have something I need done. Just wanted to see if it was really worth spending some time on. It seems that it is.

meh, I'll stick with J2EE for most and .NET for those clients that get M$ hardons.

I might play with this a little at home though.

I assume this statement isn't based on actually using it though, correct?

This is not your parents CGHMN, this is a new frontier.

I would even go so far as to say that it's the....

FINAL FRONTIER!

19645c218f055aaa.jpg

I would even go so far as to say that it's the....
[]FINAL FRONTIER![/SIZE]

[ig]http://uselessforums.com/imagehosting/19645c218f055aaa.jpg[/img]

That was really bad.

Seriously, I'm thinking of neg repping you for it.

And NO! You know what I'm talking about.