Halp Root anal

did the dentist find another oil well under your tooth?

when a dentist says 'root canal' - get a second opinion. it's primarily unnecessary and self-serving

did the dentist find another oil well under your tooth?

when a dentist says 'root canal' - get a second opinion. it's primarily unnecessary and self-serving

4 days of intense non stop jaw pain tells me that they are probably right. Molar shattered, and will need a crown.

Even Tylenol 3's aren't killing the pain right now.

Ya, why are you worried, Duke. You've had brain surgery for crists sake.

Yeah, I know. But the last time I went to the dentist to have a cavity filled, the novacaine or whatever didn't take, and I had to sit through the entire procedure white knuckling the chair arms because it hurt so friggin much.

That's my fear for this. That the local won't take, and I'll have to deal with them yanking out live nerve with no pain remediation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. But the last time I went to the dentist to have a cavity filled, the novacaine or whatever didn't take, and I had to sit through the entire procedure white knuckling the chair arms because it hurt so friggin much.

That's my fear for this. That the local won't take, and I'll have to deal with them yanking out live nerve with no pain remediation.

Twilight sleep sounds good.

Ya they can put you to sleep if you request it.

It takes at least three shots of local for me to get numb. Tooth pain suckssss.

Why didn't you ask for more shots or laughing gas? When I had both of my cavities filled, the dentist hit my gums up with some novacain, waited 5 minutes to take effect, then poked the gums asking if I could feel it. I could, so he shot me up with some more and I was good for the rest of the procedure.

It's weird not being able to feel one side of your jaw. I couldn't tell if I was drooling or not.

Why didn't you ask for more shots or laughing gas? When I had both of my cavities filled, the dentist hit my gums up with some novacain, waited 5 minutes to take effect, then poked the gums asking if I could feel it. I could, so he shot me up with some more and I was good for the rest of the procedure.

It's weird not being able to feel one side of your jaw. I couldn't tell if I was drooling or not.

Novacaine doesn't work that well for some people. I'm one of them. Pretty sure I got at least 8-10 shots one time and still felt it all.

Ask for other anesthetics then. I'm sure there are others available. or go for gas or general. I had general when I got two of my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Easy peasy.

Ask for other anesthetics then. I'm sure there are others available. or go for gas or general. I had general when I got two of my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Easy peasy.

LOL. Yeah, but they don't generally do that for a cavity. And if they do, you're paying for it out of pocket.

Novacaine doesn't work that well for some people. I'm one of them. Pretty sure I got at least 8-10 shots one time and still felt it all.

Yup. That is what happened today..

Novacaine deadened my gums alright.

But the damn nerve, which wasn't fully dead, was very much alive. The Doc (quite a pretty dentist. Never seen one of those before) told me that maybe 2 or 3 times a year does she have a root canal go as painfully as mine did.

I basically just grabbed the armrests of the chair in a white knuckle grasp and gritted it out. 30 minutes of suck v. a lot longer of lasting pain is a fair tradeoff.

Apparently, the area beneath the tooth was very infected and really close to developing an abscess. Just in time. Now I'm flying with Team Vicodin tonight. Yay me!