Ripped a wall out in my house

Valve1138

I like the AB in the GB
Oct 19, 2004
South Harmon Institute of Technology
Marklar
₥70,422
I posted the before pics in the random thread but I'll repost them here.

I use one of the bedrooms in my house as my home office. It's above the garage and the front part was a dormer space with a nice looking half round window. When the house was built 13 years ago (I've been here 8) the builder cheaped out and just built a wall to make the dormer space into a rather useless closet. So, with the help of a friend of mine, I ripped the wall out yesterday.

The drywall that was there had to go too, I installed it, shitally I might add and would have been more trouble to finish it than just putting up new drywall. I have a contractor coming in to do the drywall since I suck at it, but everything else I'm doing myself to save some money. That and demolition is fun.

Total added floorplate is 6 feet by 12 feet. About 4 feet back is usable on the left side with the slope, and the full six feet on the right with the window.

Before:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After:

picture.php

picture.php

it never struck me as the kind of thing you learn, just the kind of thing you know.

i wouldn't necessarily blame the builder. some people prefer having a vertical wall that bookshelves and whatnot can be put against to a sloped wall that can't be used for much.

your room is like mine now with the sloping roof.

i love my sloping roof. there's a flag hanging on it. i still have dreams of being buzz from home alone, despite being 21 and 2 years away from medical dulness.

I would have no idea how to:

1) Determine if that was a load bearing wall
2) Figure out what can be brought down and what cant without hurting something
3) Other stuff

Well, I know it's not load bearing because of the way roof's are built, and more specifically the way the roofs are built for the houses in my neighborhood and the vaulted ceiling in my living room with has the matching window on opposite end of the house.

The load for a roof is held by the ridge board (the peak) and the very base on both sides of the triangle. The sides actually don't do shit. If a roof has a really shallow peak you have those boards that connect the rafters to help the ridge board out, the roof over the room has those, they make the ceiling for the office.

Since the load is being carried down properly around the window, it's all good.

Also, the way my neighborhood was built was kind of half assed. The builder would make changes halfway through and this wall was one of them. It was simply cheaper to build a flat wall than finish out that dormer.

it never struck me as the kind of thing you learn, just the kind of thing you know.

i wouldn't necessarily blame the builder. some people prefer having a vertical wall that bookshelves and whatnot can be put against to a sloped wall that can't be used for much.

Nope, the builder was a cheap corner cutting fuck who got ran out of the state and filed for bankruptcy. Out of all the neighborhoods he built I live in the one that isn't fucked.

my wife fancies herself handier (sp?) than me when really all it's evidence of is that she doesn't mind if, for example, the roof actually collapsed.

she rips stuff up, assuming it can be repaired, and if it can't be, oh well. :mad: