Ontopic RIP Thread

I was talking to my kids and they don’t get the big deal but like was said, we’ve never known different. She’s always been the queen. I can’t even name another monarch but anytime someone mentions the queen we all know they were talking about Queen Elizabeth.

It's hard to really comprehend making a living day comparison as hard as I've tried all day. When they announced she was unwell at midday it seemed obvious she was about to pass but it was hard to believe. I suspected the announcement would be made just after 6pm but it was still a shock when it happened. I was a bit irritated by having the broadcasting for 6 hours preceding the announcement but actually it did help get used to the idea it might be happening, although it was sad to hear them talk in the past tense on and off. I imagine the BBC knew and were trying to soften it as much as possible. The presenter who stayed on is one of our best and held it together the whole time somehow bless him.

Last edited:
I was talking to my kids and they don’t get the big deal but like was said, we’ve never known different. She’s always been the queen. I can’t even name another monarch but anytime someone mentions the queen we all know they were talking about Queen Elizabeth.

wild isn’t it?

i saw on the news today that the currency has to be of the current head of the monarchy … so they will have to update their money to reflect the face of king charles

dory can you confirm this ?

wild isn’t it?

i saw on the news today that the currency has to be of the current head of the monarchy … so they will have to update their money to reflect the face of king charles

Yeah very true. All currency will be printed with Charles now. Probably in Canada too of course. But then our postage stamps, all sorts of things like police logos and signs. Everything will need changing over time administratively. National anthem will change.

It changes a lot.

wild isn’t it?

She’s not on all of our currency so I don’t know if thsts the case in Canada

Yeah very true. All currency will be printed with Charles now. Probably in Canada too of course. But then our postage stamps, all sorts of things like police logos and signs. Everything will need changing over time administratively. National anthem will change.

It changes a lot.

HOLY FUCK!!!
i just read this to Kiko and our jaws dropped
wow!!!!!
this is huge

Yeah she's a huge part of our national identity in so many ways it's hard to comprehend given anyone over 71 years old had known nothing else.

yea… it’s def a sad day. a day we all knew would come but it’s still shitty.
my mom is and has always been obsessed with the royals since the 80s
you’d think she was british.
when diana died my mom was a mess.

king charles.. sounds so weird but is he going by that or is he Charles the Third or some shit

yea… it’s def a sad day. a day we all knew would come but it’s still shitty.
my mom is and has always been obsessed with the royals since the 80s
you’d think she was british.
when diana died my mom was a mess.

king charles.. sounds so weird but is he going by that or is he Charles the Third or some shit
My nan is still mourning Diana for sure. I spoke to her earlier and we sobbed for a while.

He's King Charles III yeah. Our last king Charles was in the 1700s I think. Googled and it was 1649.

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
i thought forever that charles didn’t want it and was just gonna pass the torch to Wills
UK has to have a monarch by law. He is the heir presumptive. It has only been a few hours.

Anyway, like right after Dory said it American publica radio cut off programming and started broadcasting BBC World. That almost never happens. Last time I remember was Jan 6.

Last edited: