Ontopic RIP Thread

my hubby is crying over this and i legit have nooooo clue who he is. i googled him + his band and I've never heard a song before
:(

He's a Rush fan, so no doubt he's hurting. Know what cheers up a Rush fan more than anything else? introducing someone else to Rush.

Get him to play some Rush for you that he thinks you'll like. It'll make him feel better, and you'll wonder what the big deal is.

You've lived in Canada how long and you've never heard of Rush? You might get deported back to Mexico!

i’ve heard of rush but the person who died i have clue who he is unless i googled him

today he asked me to name one RUSH song and i said: “Money For Nothing”??? and he almost had a heart attack.. i legit cant name a single song or whistle a single song or know the band member names

Sent from my Tapacaca bitchezzz

• Haha
Reactions: adi and august
my hubby is crying over this and i legit have nooooo clue who he is. i googled him + his band and I've never heard a song before
We've had this convo here before - Rush has few song theme's women would dig, Geddy(lead) has never put out any kind of a sexy vibe. The lyrics don't follow verse/chrus/verse/chorus pattern that many, particularly non-musicians, find comforting and enjoyable. Musically creative but not easy listening stuff. I can totally understand why they aren't on your mental radar.

Neil was one of my heroes. As a drummer from age four, only Ringo and Bonham had more impact on me prior to Rush showing up on my radar in 1976. I saw them play at The Music Box in Omaha, a club that held less than 1000, and the next time I saw them was the Signals tour.

I was stunned when I heard this yesterday but maybe I’m old and relatively comfortable with the thought of death- I don’t know if this is the right way to say it- news of people dying, even one of my lifelong heroes, is becoming an easier pill to swallow.

RIP Neil, and thanks for being you.

We've had this convo here before - Rush has few song theme's women would dig, Geddy(lead) has never put out any kind of a sexy vibe. The lyrics don't follow verse/chrus/verse/chorus pattern that many, particularly non-musicians, find comforting and enjoyable. Musically creative but not easy listening stuff. I can totally understand why they aren't on your mental radar.

ಠ_ಠ

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor

ok so ive heard this song (didn’t know the name or the band) and i can’t tell you if i have heard the whole song thru cuz it’s totally not my speed at all.

like ive “heard of” rush
i’ve “heard” that song
but i didn’t know it was a song called tom sawyer by rush

it’s too old and hillbilly for me. sorrrrrry

Sent from my Tapacaca bitchezzz

i don't think it would have hit me as hard if he had the gord downie publicity, but the fact that he was such a reserved person and nobody knew anything about his cancer...i saw an RIP post come up from a toronto history account that i follow and just stopped dead in my tracks.

i'm young enough that this is the first childhood hero i've lost. i was very visibly shaken at work yesterday. band that got me into music to the degree that i am. arguably the reason i became a musician. i've collected every album on every medium i could find. i have 5 different physical copies of hemispheres at this point....i'm just running through the discography and looking at all the old videos that i watched growing up right now.

i don't think it would have hit me as hard if he had the gord downie publicity, but the fact that he was such a reserved person and nobody knew anything about his cancer...i saw an RIP post come up from a toronto history account that i follow and just stopped dead in my tracks.

i'm young enough that this is the first childhood hero i've lost. i was very visibly shaken at work yesterday. band that got me into music to the degree that i am. arguably the reason i became a musician. i've collected every album on every medium i could find. i have 5 different physical copies of hemispheres at this point....i'm just running through the discography and looking at all the old videos that i watched growing up right now.

I've listened to Hemispheres twice since yesterday. A Farewell to Kings is on now.
First band I can credit with why I wanted to play music. I feel the most extreme sense of loss I could for someone I've never actually met, yet feel like I've known my entire life. Very sad day.