Ontopic RIP Thread

I was introduced to Dick Dale via the "Rocket Jockey" soundtrack, but ever since then (around '96), I hadn't missed Dick when he came to town. Such a show. His guitar strings were as thick as bass strings.

Maybe piccolo bass strings. I have a 12 string bass tuned down to bead and use piccolo for the chorus strings.

I was introduced to Dick Dale via the "Rocket Jockey" soundtrack, but ever since then (around '96), I hadn't missed Dick when he came to town. Such a show. His guitar strings were as thick as bass strings.

it's such a bummer, dude was so sick in recent years but he couldn't afford to just quit touring & relax thanks to outrageous medical bills :(

Condolences on the loss of grandma, @Jehannum

Fun trivia
The last time I visited my dementia-riddled grandma, she was living in a home for dementia-riddled folk. I hadn’t seen her in a dozen years and she was riddled with dementia. She asked who I was a few times then, from across the room, she uncrossed and crossed her legs, and I saw her entire beaver.

Oh yeah. I still had “it” back then.

Condolences on the loss of grandma, @Jehannum

Fun trivia
The last time I visited my dementia-riddled grandma, she was living in a home for dementia-riddled folk. I hadn’t seen her in a dozen years and she was riddled with dementia. She asked who I was a few times then, from across the room, she uncrossed and crossed her legs, and I saw her entire beaver.

Oh yeah. I still had “it” back then.
Yeah, my gram wasn't quite that far gone, but she's been in memory care for about half a decade. We had the same conversation several times during each visit, about who I was, who my kids were, how we were doing, and about how she had a son who lived in the same city as me. Once in a particularly lucid visit, she told me she wished she had died back when her kids had finished growing up instead of living on alone (my grandfather died young as a result of radiation exposure from working at Rocky Flats).

In a lot of ways, it's kind of a relief, she hasn't really been happy for a long time. I hope that she gets whatever it is she believed in after death.

Yeah, my gram wasn't quite that far gone, but she's been in memory care for about half a decade. We had the same conversation several times during each visit, about who I was, who my kids were, how we were doing, and about how she had a son who lived in the same city as me. Once in a particularly lucid visit, she told me she wished she had died back when her kids had finished growing up instead of living on alone (my grandfather died young as a result of radiation exposure from working at Rocky Flats).

In a lot of ways, it's kind of a relief, she hasn't really been happy for a long time. I hope that she gets whatever it is she believed in after death.
My grandma was 98 when she passed and for the few years prior she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. There were occasions where I was visiting or working in her house and she'd make comments to me like "Turn around so I can see that back side." and "You can take your shirt off if you want."

This was VERY much not like her. She was a very quiet, furthest thing from aggressive type person. That's when things started going down hill. Towards the end there were a couple times that she thought I was my father. And while I wish she knew who I was, I treasured the fact that I got to hear the stories about my father when he was a young kid and hear about his friends... all things that I would never have heard about otherwise.

One thing that I DO know is that Dementia and Alzheimer's can produce verbal communication that is sexual in nature or talking about wanting to die. And that's not them talking, it's the disease. At least that's what they told us, perhaps to make us feel like "Oh that's not REALLY what she wants."

• Gravy
Reactions: august and Jehannum
One thing that I DO know is that Dementia and Alzheimer's can produce verbal communication that is sexual in nature or talking about wanting to die. And that's not them talking, it's the disease. At least that's what they told us, perhaps to make us feel like "Oh that's not REALLY what she wants."

Yeah, the whole nature of those conversations sets people up to have huge fights with each other.

My grandma was 98 when she passed and for the few years prior she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. There were occasions where I was visiting or working in her house and she'd make comments to me like "Turn around so I can see that back side." and "You can take your shirt off if you want."

This was VERY much not like her. She was a very quiet, furthest thing from aggressive type person. That's when things started going down hill. Towards the end there were a couple times that she thought I was my father. And while I wish she knew who I was, I treasured the fact that I got to hear the stories about my father when he was a young kid and hear about his friends... all things that I would never have heard about otherwise.

yeah.... she got off easy :(

The last 8 years of her life my grandmother was combative, terrified, violent and had no idea who she was, who the people around her were, and thought she was being held against her will. It was the most awful thing possible for all involved. The circumstances by which she passed were infuriating, but it was good that she finally did cause the phrase "at peace" was never more applicable.

yeah.... she got off easy :(

The last 8 years of her life my grandmother was combative, terrified, violent and had no idea who she was, who the people around her were, and thought she was being held against her will. It was the most awful thing possible for all involved. The circumstances by which she passed were infuriating, but it was good that she finally did cause the phrase "at peace" was never more applicable.
I have another grandma that is starting to show some signs of dementia. She's 76 and is in otherwise great health.

This is exactly what I fear for her simply because of the fact that she's a very outspoken person, loves her alcohol and doesn't like to be tied down (so to speak). I have a feeling we're going to have to hide the car keys eventually, and she's going to become a very negative person, possibly violent. She's been showing signs of short term memory loss for about a year, and has begun asking the same question 4 or 5 times in conversation.

Her favorite question? "Where's my drink? Is this mine?"

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Just a reminder to watch medications when folks start getting like that. They're not in nursing care or under continuous supervision of any kind yet and it's common to either think they took them and didn't or don't remember taking them and multidose.
The little daily pill organizer things aren't foolproof.

Just a reminder to watch medications when folks start getting like that. They're not in nursing care or under continuous supervision of any kind yet and it's common to either think they took them and didn't or don't remember taking them and multidose.
Even these $70+ ones aren't fool proof. They may take them out at right time, doesn't mean they took them.
1553534840840.png

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
My care guide for the sick & addled in the head: 1. white lie to them and make them happy. 2. Stay in character if you're assumed to be someone else. 3. Leave the care to someone else if you can't do it right/thoroughly.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
At that point, a nursing home is the preferable option if finances allow.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie