Ontopic RIP Thread

I couldn't find anything on it, did the family try to help her, theraphy or something?

Too young to go man. Fuck depression.
they might not have known. it's not always as obvious as the media portrays it, and a lot of people are very private about mental health issues. when I was struggling the hardest with suicidal ideation, my parents were the last people I'd have wanted to tell.

they might not have known. it's not always as obvious as the media portrays it, and a lot of people are very private about mental health issues. when I was struggling the hardest with suicidal ideation, my parents were the last people I'd have wanted to tell.

As I read, she committed suicide before but the police were able to get there in time.

Her sister says she opened up to her 2 weeks before, but I didn't see any theraphy or anything in the article. (From cyclingweekly.com)

As I read, she committed suicide before but the police were able to get there in time.

Her sister says she opened up to her 2 weeks before, but I didn't see any theraphy or anything in the article. (From cyclingweekly.com)
ugh that's rough. I only looked at the one article linked above.

she may have been in therapy & they just haven't brought it up yet, or she may not have been.

she's over 18, but under 26, so she's out of the age range where her parents could really MAKE her go to therapy, but if she's on their insurance still, she might have avoided therapy specifically over concerns that they'd have access to info regarding her therapy (theoretically they could only get claims info, but that could include diagnosis info as well as info re: meds, etc). therapy can also be expensive and scary.

realistically, all anyone who wasn't her could do for her was be supportive (which doesn't necessarily help) & keep an eye out for signs of acute suicidal ideation. unless it could be shown that she posed an imminent threat to herself or others, they can't force her into care. also, all of my friends who've ended up in inpatient psychiatric care over the last 15+ years are still paying back bills for it, and their general stance now is "I don't actively want to snuff it anymore but if I get to yhat point again, just let me go bc I can't afford to live after I'm 'saved' again."

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Damn, what a shame. I was reading one of the extended articles on her - apparently she suffered a concussion back in December and a broken arm in October. Her family says she wasn't the same after the concussion. Closed head injuries are so deceptive - person looks ok but is really not feeling right in their head. And hard to treat. She may have just tried to push through it all and found it too much. :(

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Damn, what a shame. I was reading one of the extended articles on her - apparently she suffered a concussion back in December and a broken arm in October. Her family says she wasn't the same after the concussion. Closed head injuries are so deceptive - person looks ok but is really not feeling right in their head. And hard to treat. She may have just tried to push through it all and found it too much. :(

I sometimes suspect something similar explains Darth.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
"Catlin's personal coach of four years, Stephan McGregor, tells NPR that she was not just a top athlete. "People don't necessarily realize that she spoke Chinese fluently, was a mathematician, was a musician. She was exceptional in every aspect of her life."

Colin says she was full of contrasts — able to listen to German industrial heavy metal, then play Niccolò Paganini on her violin; she pretended she was fierce like a velociraptor, making hissing noises, and dreamed of being a data scientist.

And she wanted to inspire women in the world, Colin says.

"The greatest strength you will ever develop is the ability to recognize your own weaknesses," Kelly Catlin wrote in February, "and to learn to ask for help when you need it." ~