Ontopic RIP Thread

Journalism is dead so not surprised.

Lol you were writing that as I was writing this...

Got me wondering now if that was somebody's brainfart/honest mistake or if somebody's trying to be a real dick.

Seems it would have to get ok'd by some amount of proof readers, fact checkers, editor, before getting published. At least on a big, actual news site.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Seems it would have to get ok'd by some amount of proof readers, fact checkers, editor, before getting published. At least on a big, actual news site.
I think with a lot of these 'news' organizations proof reading gets assumed to have been done by someone else all too often. Apologies are are an easy 'oops. sorry. LOOKIT ---> new story here!'

Youd think so, wouldn't you? Online doesn't work like that, though

I could see it happening from some celebrity gossip national enquirer type place.
I'd like to think ABC or NBC would've caught such an easily checked error. You can search the guys name and see loads of mentions of his death with the date right on the search result. Don't even have to open the article.

I honestly think bloggers and other types of freelance Contracting journalists killed journalism. But that could be an entire thread now couldn't it?

idk if the freelancers are to blame, or the fact that so many publications and online media/blog companies have decided to switch to hiring freelancers since they can pay them less and withhold benefits. the freelancers I know don't freelance because they prefer that over steady employment, it's because that's what's out there/open to them. and yeah it can be kind of a chicken/egg thing like are the freelancers still to blame for offering their services for less money/accepting this independent contractor type status instead of pushing for whatever, but like. there has been hella union busting all over, but for sure with media

Now that I think on it, the kids might've mentioned that guys name. Maybe they were trying to do bike tricks, or he had a character in some bike skateboard stunt trick type videogame.

Anyway, if whoever was the engine in this train wreck would've simply typed his name into their computer before publishing, all the results would've said 2016.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and wetwillie
Now that I think on it, the kids might've mentioned that guys name. Maybe they were trying to do bike tricks, or he had a character in some bike skateboard stunt trick type videogame.

Anyway, if whoever was the engine in this train wreck would've simply typed his name into their computer before publishing, all the results would've said 2016.
Why don't you go play hide and go fuck yourself instead of casting aspersions?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

Coulda been a fan of his who wanted him back in the news.:iono: Or a simple mistake. Shit happens.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
idk if the freelancers are to blame, or the fact that so many publications and online media/blog companies have decided to switch to hiring freelancers since they can pay them less and withhold benefits. the freelancers I know don't freelance because they prefer that over steady employment, it's because that's what's out there/open to them. and yeah it can be kind of a chicken/egg thing like are the freelancers still to blame for offering their services for less money/accepting this independent contractor type status instead of pushing for whatever, but like. there has been hella union busting all over, but for sure with media

I wonder if some of it isn't the internet age/new economy thing like with music and bands?

Awesome they can self-publish and get their content out there without the blessing of some corporate fat cat.

Downside is it created a race to the bottom where it's really hard to make money off it. Then the consumer has to sift through thousands of offerings to find stuff they like.

Bands can at least still sell tickets/charge cover for live performances to try to make some money.

What to journalists and bloggers do in place of that? Give speeches? Write books? Sell their exclusive story to a big media network? I really don't know.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
I wonder if some of it isn't the internet age/new economy thing like with music and bands?

Awesome they can self-publish and get their content out there without the blessing of some corporate fat cat.

Downside is it created a race to the bottom where it's really hard to make money off it. Then the consumer has to sift through thousands of offerings to find stuff they like.

Bands can at least still sell tickets/charge cover for live performances to try to make some money.

What to journalists and bloggers do in place of that? Give speeches? Write books? Sell their exclusive story to a big media network? I really don't know.
learn to code?

lol, the craft beer scene has ruined venues for local bands though.

There's a billion tiny venues, and none of them can afford to hire a band, so now none of the established venues will hire local bands for a cut of the till either.