Ontopic RIP Thread

ok so he used to film some show in toronto at this studio and he would sometimes come into this bar my girl worked at. it was a dive. a real shit hole of a bar ANYHOO he was always rude and kept to himself and not social. anyhoo one day out of nowhere this MF decides to just pick up his beer bottle and SMASH it at the bar, I think he was aiming for the tv but hit the shelves holding the liquor bottles and the place was pretty empty so it was loud and shocking, David just screaming shit at NO BODY and kicked the chair as he was walking away and walked out the door. No rhyme No reason.

my girl said he was crazy and he would come in again a week or so later and leave money for the damage and act like nothing happened. this was in the late 90s I believe

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Josh
ok so he used to film some show in toronto at this studio and he would sometimes come into this bar my girl worked at. it was a dive. a real shit hole of a bar ANYHOO he was always rude and kept to himself and not social. anyhoo one day out of nowhere this MF decides to just pick up his beer bottle and SMASH it at the bar, I think he was aiming for the tv but hit the shelves holding the liquor bottles and the place was pretty empty so it was loud and shocking, David just screaming shit at NO BODY and kicked the chair as he was walking away and walked out the door. No rhyme No reason.

my girl said he was crazy and he would come in again a week or so later and leave money for the damage and act like nothing happened. this was in the late 90s I believe
Hilarious.

I was always amazed that anyone would be intimidated by phil spector
He was 5' 5" and weighed a buck oh five
Guess thats why he was always waving a gun around

caveat: this started as a much shorter reply and then I got all up in my feels and did what I always do, but I want to explicitly state that the tone of this isn't meant to be chiding or assuming nobody's considered any of this or whatever, I just got swept up in some of the parallels to shit I've gone through (though in fairly obviously lesser ways).

you have to consider that his affair with Ronnie originally started in the early 60s, which was not a time that is known for the safety of Black people in general from white people.

he was also incredibly controlling and had the means to do quite a lot. he fucked over The Ronettes constantly, not allowing them to release their music or releasing their music
and crediting it to others, fucking them on promotion, etc. women were only granted the right to even have/open their own bank account in the 60s, and it wasn't until 1974 that the Equal Credit Opportunity Act was passed that made it so banks couldn't refuse them credit cards or loans on the basis of their sex, so even if Ronnie wasn't stuck with him because of shitty contracts and music stuff, she would still have been financially at his mercy. and she still got absolutely financially fucked in their divorce.

a lot of the crazy shit he did to Ronnie was also stuff that you didn't have to be physically intimidating to pull off - the barbed wire and keeping her shoeless, threatening to hire a hitman (and being rich enough to do it), and like you said, even the actual gun part is threatening even if the person wielding it isn't. and then he DID go on to kill someone and it still took like 4 years to even go to trial and another 2 to get a conviction with a mistrial in between. Ronnie left him in 1972, and if he'd actually killed her back then when he was still at the height of his popularity and success (and before the reclusiveness and car accident and all), not only would he have succeeded at following through on his threats but he very well could have gotten away with it.

shit with my ex was never as bad as it was for Ronnie, but my ex was also not particularly physically intimidating (though significantly taller than Phil) and I still feared him because of the years of emotional abuse and control. and like with the Spectors, his threats were a combo of what he could do to me himself and what he could have others do (though these threats were typically about my own personal financial and social and professional devastation and not threats of violence). he was nowhere near as famous or successful as Phil, but he still had and/or was able to convince me of his power enough to keep me in fear for years before I left. much like Ronnie, when I did leave, I pretty much left without anything, and because of his threats and my fear I asked for and got nothing in our divorce, because even having escaped to another state I still feared what he would do.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
We all know Phil was a shit person but I wouldn't put too much stock in what anybody says in some divorce proceeding or accompanying book for sale.

Did I mention Phil was a shit person? I think I did.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII