Ontopic RIP Thread

well, he's not dead yet but they're withdrawing care/switching to comfort care, so a preemptive RIP in peace to my friend Dan. I don't know the whole story, just that he went to the ED and ended up in the ICU and ventilated (it isn't COVID) and now there's multisystem organ failure. he's not coming back from it. they're just letting the small number of allowed family/friends say goodbyes before they extubate, and then he'll die. I'm not sad about the extubation - he isn't coming back from this and he isn't in there anymore, so prolonging his suffering would be selfish and wrong - but I'm sad that he's leaving. I don't believe in an afterlife, but I hope I'm wrong about that because I know he'd be glad to see his brother again.

Screenshot_20210919-122420_Facebook.jpg

he passed last night just before midnight. he was preceded in death by his mother - yesterday was her birthday - and his younger brother.

it sounds like it was liver failure that took him out. he struggled with alcoholism in the past, he's had a lot of tragedy in his life and I think the drinking was a largely self-medication. he'd been clean for years at this point, married a nurse, he was doing very well, but I think the damage was just too much. I don't know if he was drinking again or not, and I'm not going to ask, but with liver failure there's lots of things that can trigger the actual failing point once the damage is severe.

he's a donor and his wife was working through that paperwork, but I don't know what they'll actually be able to use given the organ failure/intubation. maybe some of the other stuff outside of the traditional soft organ donation stuff, like skin or corneas or bones. maybe nothing, sometimes it just works out that way.

he was a great dude. the first time we ever talked, it was like literally the day after his mom died, but he saw some people publicly harassing me (on the internet) and he reached out to make sure I was OK and to say nice things to and about me. every time I saw him at shows, even if we hadn't seen each other or talked for months or years, he made you feel like he came out tonight just to see you. he had a lot of tragedy and sorrow in his life, but he also always had kind words for his friends and family.

I genuinely wish that I believed in an afterlife because it would bring me great comfort to imagine him hugging his mom and his brother, and all of the rest of our friends who have died too young.

he passed last night just before midnight. he was preceded in death by his mother - yesterday was her birthday - and his younger brother.

it sounds like it was liver failure that took him out. he struggled with alcoholism in the past, he's had a lot of tragedy in his life and I think the drinking was a largely self-medication. he'd been clean for years at this point, married a nurse, he was doing very well, but I think the damage was just too much. I don't know if he was drinking again or not, and I'm not going to ask, but with liver failure there's lots of things that can trigger the actual failing point once the damage is severe.

he's a donor and his wife was working through that paperwork, but I don't know what they'll actually be able to use given the organ failure/intubation. maybe some of the other stuff outside of the traditional soft organ donation stuff, like skin or corneas or bones. maybe nothing, sometimes it just works out that way.

he was a great dude. the first time we ever talked, it was like literally the day after his mom died, but he saw some people publicly harassing me (on the internet) and he reached out to make sure I was OK and to say nice things to and about me. every time I saw him at shows, even if we hadn't seen each other or talked for months or years, he made you feel like he came out tonight just to see you. he had a lot of tragedy and sorrow in his life, but he also always had kind words for his friends and family.

I genuinely wish that I believed in an afterlife because it would bring me great comfort to imagine him hugging his mom and his brother, and all of the rest of our friends who have died too young.
sorry babe. I like to think the thoughts are worth something. XX

• Gravy
Reactions: august
My deepest condolences August, and I mean that whole heartedly. Even if you have no belief in an afterlife I can tell you what I experienced from what I consider to be two honest near-death “occurrences” for lack of a better term since I use “experiences’ already.

Comfort. I had a feeling of comfort and warmth. And happy. The last one was in January early in the morning and I felt it and could still feel it after I was back. I can’t describe it any better than “comfortable” but it was powerful enough that I haven’t feared death, meaning after death since then. I fear the dying process though because I’ve been close to that feeling a bunch of times recently and it is as far from comfortable as it gets. I hope I get drugged up or just go in my sleep.

Peace to your friend, and more so, peace to you.

Todd Akin, "legitimate rape" guy, dies of cancer. Guess it wasn't "legitimate" cancer, since the body's got ways of shutting that variety down.