Ontopic RIP Thread

1. The patient must make two oral requests to the attending physician, separated by at least 15 days.
  2. The patient must provide a written request to the attending physician, signed in the presence of two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient.
  3. The attending physician and a consulting physician must confirm the patient's diagnosis and prognosis.
  4. The attending physician and a consulting physician must determine whether the patient is capable of making and communicating health care decisions for him/herself;
  5. If either physician believes the patient's judgment is impaired by a psychiatric or psychological disorder (such as depression), the patient must be referred for a psychological examination;
  6. The attending physician must inform the patient of feasible alternatives to the DWDA including comfort care, hospice care, and pain control;
  7. The attending physician must request, but may not require, the patient to notify their next-of-kin of the prescription request.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
fuck man, you dont have an attending that can help you meet the requirements? (two discussions within 15 days, etc etc)

Im sure you know more about the process than i do considering everythign i just learned was from a google search. But it sounds like the key thing to have is an attending physician that will work with you to get you set up, and then make the prescription.

My attending physician I haven’t seen in person for over a year, mostly due to Covid, then my inability to go anywhere. The only places I’ve been in two years have been hospitals and two imaging centers. I have less than $20 cash in my wallet, and now my son has my ATM card (I have the number on a Post It note hidden) but even making the appointment with the doctor is breaking the rules set by hospice.

I made a call earlier to them to have a doctor return my call, because I’m at wit’s end and it’s approaching 4:30pm without a return call. Plus, hospice is run by a Catholic “organization” and are very limited on what they can say or do.

My patience and mood is so thin and worn out, the post you added after the one I’m responded to looks too complicated for me at this time. I literally need an advocate to do all the “legwork” for me.

Im the textbook definition of “given up” right now. Which is why I’m so pissed that I didn’t do it last spring when I had a car, a valid drivers license, and the mental ability to negotiate the hurdles to get it going.

Did I mention that my drivers license expired a couple weeks ago against my wishes, and my siblings and son agreed I didn’t need it?

I’ve decided the problem is ME. The care center isn’t used to people in my condition, or usually doesn’t have my type here. I met a lady here who has been here two years! She has one of those battery operated oxygen machines that she carries and a walker with a seat. I checked into those yesterday afternoon and I don’t qualify for either one. She also suggested I join her when she goes to a community center get together. I can’t make it to my bathroom without a ten minute rest after getting there, about ten feet away.

Spoke with my neighbor today, found out that her husband passed away. An older black guy, turned 80 earlier this year and didn't really look it. He loved my boat and my Mustang and would comment on them whenever I had them running. They were married for 43 years.

:-/

My attending physician I haven’t seen in person for over a year, mostly due to Covid, then my inability to go anywhere. The only places I’ve been in two years have been hospitals and two imaging centers. I have less than $20 cash in my wallet, and now my son has my ATM card (I have the number on a Post It note hidden) but even making the appointment with the doctor is breaking the rules set by hospice.

I made a call earlier to them to have a doctor return my call, because I’m at wit’s end and it’s approaching 4:30pm without a return call. Plus, hospice is run by a Catholic “organization” and are very limited on what they can say or do.

My patience and mood is so thin and worn out, the post you added after the one I’m responded to looks too complicated for me at this time. I literally need an advocate to do all the “legwork” for me.

Im the textbook definition of “given up” right now. Which is why I’m so pissed that I didn’t do it last spring when I had a car, a valid drivers license, and the mental ability to negotiate the hurdles to get it going.

Did I mention that my drivers license expired a couple weeks ago against my wishes, and my siblings and son agreed I didn’t need it?

I’ve decided the problem is ME. The care center isn’t used to people in my condition, or usually doesn’t have my type here. I met a lady here who has been here two years! She has one of those battery operated oxygen machines that she carries and a walker with a seat. I checked into those yesterday afternoon and I don’t qualify for either one. She also suggested I join her when she goes to a community center get together. I can’t make it to my bathroom without a ten minute rest after getting there, about ten feet away.
concur 100% on the advocate. You're too tired for this shit.

• Gravy
You have no idea how relieved I am that you are in agreement with me on that. I’m to the point that mouse turds look like mountains to me.

I received a copy of the rules today and oddly, cannabis realated products of all kinds are prohibited (I don’t care anyway) but alcohol is allowed with a doctor’s permission. I understand somewhat, because alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous and weed is still illegal federally, but I’d also think mellow patients would be easier to manage.

Last I checked, doctor assisted suicide was still illegal on a federal basis, but they aren’t cracking down on it.

Get that alcohol prescription taken care of and I'm sure some of us can send you something fancy. Or a giant case of Natty Light and a bottle of shitty whiskey, whatever you're into.

And get a deck of cards and challenge missus who invited you to the social thingy to a game of something so you don't have to go anywhere. Let her kick your ass.

One thought I had actually involved going to jail for something serious enough they’d have to keep me for. Drug offenses won’t keep a person locked up here anymore but once I start drinking, anything is possible. It may take awhile because I’m a fun drunk 99/100 times. It’s the “one” time that gets me arrested.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
I’m completely against capital punishment. But it’s a thought, so thanks.
Damn Immi, I checked in here to hope your obituary wasn't listed yet but after all that shit I kinda feel like giving you one.

Don't take that the wrong way man it's all in love but I worry about this. Maybe it's just a bad experience or a "wrong fit" as far as hospice care and stuff. Should maybe work with the system a little more and maybe find a better fit.

Yes I just offered to kill you if that's what you want but I'd need to be 100% sure that's what you want and I don't think you're there yet. Probably just an oh shit moment with all the changes and stuff.

Ya I know this all sounds mighty fucked up. I also don't care. I don't want to see you go man but if you're ready I can help.

Did you get that cigarette?
Let me know I'll bring you some, and a whiskey coke in a plastic cup from the drive-thru.

• Love
No, no cigarette yet but I still think it’s weird that even after quitting almost 7 years ago, whenever I do the morphine/diazepam cocktail, my brain cries out for a cigarette.

Those drugs must push the same buttons that alcohol used to.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Might want to delete that post @HipHugHer now that Immi has seen it. Don’t won’t that floating around. I like kittens too though.

Suicide Samurai GIF

Might want to delete that post @HipHugHer now that Immi has seen it. Don’t won’t that floating around. I like kittens too though.
It might be too late - he did offer to take immi's place a few weeks ago(rude AF, imo). Maybe this is hips way of telling us he wants to kill himself - switch places, then do himself. idk, I'm pretty hung over.

My mother in law. 95.
That ole gal was a pistol.
She had a very long happy life. This past year was hard though because of covid and the limited amount of people that could visit her. She just didn't understand. She'd say "I don't know what you guys think you're gonna catch from me".
We'd explain it to her, but she really missed the big get togethers.

My mother in law. 95.
That ole gal was a pistol.
She had a very long happy life. This past year was hard though because of covid and the limited amount of people that could visit her. She just didn't understand. She'd say "I don't know what you guys think you're gonna catch from me".
We'd explain it to her, but she really missed the big get togethers.
Condolences to your wife and you, strings - you always spoke well of her, other than her being a slight PITA. 95 is a damn good run. Salute!

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings