Ontopic RIP Thread

Neil was one of my heroes. As a drummer from age four, only Ringo and Bonham had more impact on me prior to Rush showing up on my radar in 1976. I saw them play at The Music Box in Omaha, a club that held less than 1000, and the next time I saw them was the Signals tour.

I was stunned when I heard this yesterday but maybe I’m old and relatively comfortable with the thought of death- I don’t know if this is the right way to say it- news of people dying, even one of my lifelong heroes, is becoming an easier pill to swallow.

RIP Neil, and thanks for being you.
Man I'm young and don't feel sad about famous people dying. I mean it sucks, but I don't know them. I do feel bad about people dying young though, famous or not. Maybe I'm just comfortable with the idea of death or maybe I just don't have idols.

Man I'm young and don't feel sad about famous people dying. I mean it sucks, but I don't know them. I do feel bad about people dying young though, famous or not. Maybe I'm just comfortable with the idea of death or maybe I just don't have idols.

When Stevie Ray Vaughan died, I was behind the wheel and had to pull over for a minute when I heard it on the news. It was a shock.

BUT when my dad died, I helped him click the clicker until he passed, then I went home and washed my car as I’d just returned from an 800 miles trip around the Olympic Peninsula. Mom died at past midnight and I was in class the next morning. Never did cry over either.

I cried when my last cat died though. There were circumstances that brought that on though, like having the flu and I had two heart attacks earlier that day.

When Stevie Ray Vaughan died, I was behind the wheel and had to pull over for a minute when I heard it on the news. It was a shock.

BUT when my dad died, I helped him click the clicker until he passed, then I went home and washed my car as I’d just returned from an 800 miles trip around the Olympic Peninsula. Mom died at past midnight and I was in class the next morning. Never did cry over either.

I cried when my last cat died though. There were circumstances that brought that on though, like having the flu and I had two heart attacks earlier that day.
Sometimes people who pass have just escaped major torment and you CAN be relieved they passed for you, and relieved they passed for them. So many other possibilities on the feels or lack thereof. Just one is, "hmmm, mom would want me to carry on. I'll do it and not wallow in self pity."
Another is, in the words of musician Paul Thorne,"I don't like half the folks I love."

Sometimes people who pass have just escaped major torment and you CAN be relieved they passed for you, and relieved they passed for them. So many other possibilities on the feels or lack thereof. Just one is, "hmmm, mom would want me to carry on. I'll do it and not wallow in self pity."
Another is, in the words of musician Paul Thorne,"I don't like half the folks I love."

Yep, that, and knowing they were going ahead of time. Advance notice helps I think.

Yep, that, and knowing they were going ahead of time. Advance notice helps I think.
Definitely. I knew my wife was going to die for 20 months - nobody escapes that shit. Then when she didn't know who any of us were it was easier to process it ahead of time. As my oldest daughter screamed at me in a bad moment a few months prior, "fuck you dad, I'm not going in there to sit with mom. She's not here anymore!" I wasn't mad - the kid was right.

I thought I was the same until this tbh.

I'm not truly sad I don't think. just kinda shocked. reminiscing.

had wet eyes yesterday i feel what i feel cant help it
the first line of one of their songs is suddenly you were gone and that got me
Slightly unrelated but "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" is a perfect picture of my mental deep-thought loop collapsing. It's one of the only lines in a song to ever make me feel insecure and peaceful at the same time.