Ontopic RIP Thread

"get some exercise"

dude, they can barely get out of bed

and the permanent solution/temporary problem thing - the people killing themselves often feel like they are a permanent problem in the lives of those who care for them, and don't want to be a burden.
And so we hope they don't and we get a chance to tell them don't. I have a handful in my life where they did and we didn't.
Burden-guilt: yeah, that shit definitely happens. Even care-giver guilt can be pretty f'n heavy.
Mental health is one of those things where everyone who has never had a chemical imbalance, PTSD, etc thinks they are an expert on it.
I've think I've had/experienced all of those to some degree but I don't consider myself an expert layperson on mental health. Dedicated observer.

Like, I've thought about what would happen if I took my foot off the brake and slipped in front of a speeding semi. That doesn't mean I plan to do it, ever.
l'appel du vide is also not the same as mental health and is "normal"/happens to people who are in otherwise good mental health. even occasional suicidal ideation is normal. those are not the same as having legitimate mental illnesses.

l'appel du vide is also not the same as mental health and is "normal"/happens to people who are in otherwise good mental health. even occasional suicidal ideation is normal. those are not the same as having legitimate mental illnesses.
even occasional suicidal ideation is normal. those are not the same as having legitimate mental illnesses.
See, we are in agreement there. Suicidal ideation IS normal. I've thought "hmm, if I killed myself, I'd not have X problem. But yeah, I'd also be dead so forget that." But maybe next time.
l'appel du vide - yes, have that frequently.
Only the Paranoid Survive: How to Identify and Exploit the Crisis Points that Challenge Every BusinessPerson. {play on the title of an Andy Grove book}

See, we are in agreement there. Suicidal ideation IS normal. I've thought "hmm, if I killed myself, I'd not have X problem. But yeah, I'd also be dead so forget that." But maybe next time.
l'appel du vide - yes, have that frequently.
Only the Paranoid Survive: How to Identify and Exploit the Crisis Points that Challenge Every BusinessPerson. {play on the title of an Andy Grove book}
ok but that is not the same as having legitimate mental illness. you're likening a normal thing that most people experience on occasion to having mental illness. it's the equivalent of being like "oh, I know what having cancer is like, I had a cold once"

ok but that is not the same as having legitimate mental illness. you're likening a normal thing that most people experience on occasion to having mental illness. it's the equivalent of being like "oh, I know what having cancer is like, I had a cold once"
I guess I was misunderstood. I don't think that suicidal ideation is a mental illness. I don't think you have to have a long-standing "mental illness" to kill yourself. I don't think it is necessarily(sometimes yes) even temporary mental illness to kill yourself. I personally consider it a bad descicion but hey, I don't get a vote in what someone else decides to do with their life.
People with legitimate(poor word choice, maybe long-standing or identifiable) mental illnesses don't all want to kill themselves.

"oh, I know what having cancer is like, I had a cold once" - you know, between you and Asa I don't know which of you is being a bigger asshole with this "minimize what other people have experienced" shit today. Two turds in a pod imo.

Come-on, you and august have been trying to double-team me and draft off each other for weeks. Game so weak it can't even kill itself.
yes, clearly we coordinate this, it can't be that we both independently think you say dumb shit and respond appropriately. hope this doesn't put you in a bad mood, heavens knows what you'd do if it did