Ontopic RIP Thread

All the more reason to legalize suicide and supply Futurama-esque suicide booths. Neater, fewer witnesses, less demoralizing.

Suicide rates are likely to rise over the next 20 years and it’s not as though anyone is concerned about raising the overall standard of living.

Apparently some lady jumped off of the tallest parking garage on campus. She did not survive.

:-/
d9BKtdF.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Immigrant
All the more reason to legalize suicide and supply Futurama-esque suicide booths. Neater, fewer witnesses, less demoralizing.

Suicide rates are likely to rise over the next 20 years and it’s not as though anyone is concerned about raising the overall standard of living.
That would make it too easy, then people would do it more. Or is that what you're pushing for here? I think many/most people who commit suicide love life, they just hate how it is, if only in their head. "Personal stress" is frequently fleeting. 25 yr. old grad student - damn shame.
Standard of living worldwide is increasing. Supposedly even here in 'Murica. FFS.

That would make it too easy, then people would do it more. Or is that what you're pushing for here? I think many/most people who commit suicide love life, they just hate how it is, if only in their head. "Personal stress" is frequently fleeting. 25 yr. old grad student - damn shame.
Standard of living worldwide is increasing. Supposedly even here in 'Murica. FFS.

You drank the Koolaid.

The standard of living has increased for very few. That’s a discussion for another thread, sorry I mentioned it here.

And there is nothing wrong with making suicide easier.

You drank the Koolaid.

The standard of living has increased for very few. That’s a discussion for another thread, sorry I mentioned it here.

And there is nothing wrong with making suicide easier.
We'll have to disagree on that last part - I'm troubled when seemingly healthy people do it so. I think it's too often based on temporary stressors.
But hey, I've never seriously considered it myself.

By definition, healthy people don't commit suicide. Physical health is not the only type of health
But mental health is more transitory. Some one can prank you and you're very upset. A minute later you are WTF? Someone breaks up with you, you're despondent. THey call you - all is good.
Of course, some folks are suffering with more continuous depression, pain, etc. Suicide sucks - depending.

But mental health is more transitory. Some one can prank you and you're very upset. A minute later you are WTF? Someone breaks up with you, you're despondent. THey call you - all is good.
Of course, some folks are suffering with more continuous depression, pain, etc. Suicide sucks - depending.

I’ve talked to a few dozen folks who failed suicide attempts, some of them several, and a high percentage all say the first thing they thought was “Damn. I wish I hadn’t done that.”

I made it as far as clinical settings when I was in school, but I’ve personally known a few survivors. Most survivors are jumpers so they can be talked to later.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
By definition, healthy people don't commit suicide. Physical health is not the only type of health

what you're describing there is mood, not mental health. either can affect the other, but mental health is a lot more than transitory mood shifts.

what you're describing there is mood, not mental health. either can affect the other, but mental health is a lot more than transitory mood shifts.
Lots of people kill themselves and others during a bad mood. Not buying the idea that "well, they thought about it before". Like, I've thought about what would happen if I took my foot off the brake and slipped in front of a speeding semi. That doesn't mean I plan to do it, ever. The tendency to achieve and keep a particular mood is an outward expression of mental health or mental state. You don't have to have continuous mental health issues to do something fucked up

By definition, healthy people don't commit suicide.
Wrong. A cornered person that kills themselves might be very mentally and physically healthy - they make a logical descicion to end it. "Cornered" could be many things - finances, relationship,job, etc. DIfferent people have different triggers. Every economic crash we have a host of rich fucks who achieve a deadly mood.

Last edited:
Lots of people kill themselves and others during a bad mood. Not buying the idea that "well, they thought about it before". Like, I've thought about what would happen if I took my foot off the brake and slipped in front of a speeding semi. That doesn't mean I plan to do it, ever. The tendency to achieve and keep a particular mood is an outward expression of mental health or mental state. You don't have to have continuous mental health issues to do something fucked up

Wrong. A cornered person that kills themselves might be very mentally and physically healthy - they make a logical descicion not to end it. "Cornered" could be many things - finances, relationship,job, etc. DIfferent people have different triggers. Every economic crash we have a host of rich fucks who achieve a deadly mood.
Cornered in finances, relationship, job, etc is an excessive amount of stress, which is an actual mental health issue.

Cornered in finances, relationship, job, etc is an excessive amount of stress, which is an actual mental health issue.
Agreed. But it's often temporary. Say someone gets a surprise let-go from work: one person has a few drinks, is bummed but resolves to get back on the horse. Someone else ends it. IDK. IT's a difficult subject. So many variables for so many "normal" people.
I've been in high stress points of life and had someone say "don't do something stupid like kill yourself." WTF - wasn't even on my radar until you said that. Ironically the person who said it has gotten really close. Like 1/5 and a shotgun on the table but they mercifully passed out first.

Agreed. But it's often temporary. Say someone gets a surprise let-go from work: one person has a few drinks, is bummed but resolves to get back on the horse. Someone else ends it. IDK. IT's a difficult subject. So many variables for so many "normal" people.
I've been in high stress points of life and had someone say "don't do something stupid like kill yourself." WTF - wasn't even on my radar until you said that. Ironically the person who said it has gotten really close. Like 1/5 and a shotgun on the table but they mercifully passed out first.
I would say that the ones who would kill themselves in those situations have an undiagnosed condition. It may be manageable when everything is going well, but an inability to deal with stress pushes them over that line. Mental illness doesn't have to be "on" 100% of the time, there are degrees of severity and external stressors (and an inablity to deal with them) play a big part in them.

That's not a "bad mood", dude. A bad mood is when some dick cuts me off in traffic. A bad mood is not the inability to see a way out of their current problems.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
There was an old geezer who used to regularly say

“Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”

I’m pretty sure that most suicidal people see their problems as permanent (some are but most aren’t) and cognitive dissonance is in itself a symptom of mental illness.

There was an old geezer who used to regularly say

I’m pretty sure that most suicidal people see their problems as permanent (some are but most aren’t) and cognitive dissonance is in itself a symptom of mental illness.
Mental health is one of those things where everyone who has never had a chemical imbalance, PTSD, etc thinks they are an expert on it.

"Go outside and get some sunshine."
"Smile more, it'll make you happier."

If it was that easy or logical, no one would be suffering, but here we are.

Mental health is one of those things where everyone who has never had a chemical imbalance, PTSD, etc thinks they are an expert on it.

Hey lady.

Read final sentence of what you quoted peas. It’s a symptom. Addiction is also considered a mental illness IIRC, and I do.

"get some exercise"

dude, they can barely get out of bed

and the permanent solution/temporary problem thing - the people killing themselves often feel like they are a permanent problem in the lives of those who care for them, and don't want to be a burden.