reward systems

How is it unfair? I mean, YOU gave them life. They can do some cleaning godammit.

I agree, we feed, clothe, and house them, they can help keep the house clean and maintained. Also I think it teaches them important skills they'll need as they get older (not just how to clean but discipline and responsibility as well). i already have my two year old helping us clean her room when it is needed and will probably be adding an additional job in the near future, I just need to decide what. I also fully expect my kids to make their kids work when the time comes.

How is it unfair? I mean, YOU gave them life. They can do some cleaning godammit.

Sorry, maybe that wasn't clear.

"Unfair" was about my comment. I was NOT saying it was unfair to the kids to make them do chores.

I'm not criticizing the parenting skills of anyone here. It was just a half-joking response to other people's jokes:
"I wouldn't get beaten if I did the dishes"
"You did your chores and behaved and you got to live another day."

:rolleyes: :D

I agree, we feed, clothe, and house them, they can help keep the house clean and maintained. Also I think it teaches them important skills they'll need as they get older (not just how to clean but discipline and responsibility as well). i already have my two year old helping us clean her room when it is needed and will probably be adding an additional job in the near future, I just need to decide what. I also fully expect my kids to make their kids work when the time comes.

i agree. i didn't lift a finger growing up, and i'm paying for it now. i'm extremely lazy and HATE all housework. and before anyone says anything about me staying at home, NO, i was not looking forward to the HOUSEWORK but raising KIDS. i worked before i had kids. i HATE half of my job, which requires the house. i think the only thing that will help me is if i put myself on a schedule.
but i digress. i am going to make sure my kids have more responsibility around the house than i had, even if it's not done my way. (that was my mom's issue...what's the point in kids doing it if it's not done right and she has to go back and fix it?) i have this problem too, but i know what happens when kids don't have chores, and i don't want molly to be the way i am.

I got the belt and allowance. The allowance was supposed to be saved, that whole financial responsibility my dad tried to instill in us.

They threatened to ground me, I threatened to put them in a crappy nursing home when they were older, and eventually a flyswatter came in contact with my bare ass several times.

When the time comes I'm gonna watch some of those 20/20 episodes about abusive nursing homes to get some ideas of where to stick my folks.

A few days ago my son was playing with another kid on the playground. The other kid threw dirt at my son so my son threw dirt back. And then it esclated. Will threw sticks in the kids face and he had to get a few stiches. My son knows not to throw sticks and we fuss at him about it so we grounded him for a week. No tv and no computer time. But how can we watch tv in such a way that he can't see it? So we kind of grounded ourselves. I've played a lot of uno the last few days.

Last edited:
A few days ago my son was playing with another kid on the playground. The other kid threw dirt at my son so my son threw dirt back. And then it esclated. Will threw sticks in the kids face and he had to get a few stiches. My son knows not to throw sticks and we fuss at him about it so we grounded him for a week. No tv and no computer time. But how can we watch tv in such a way that he can't see it? So we kind of grounded ourselves. I've played a lot of uno the last few days.
Scream bloody murder everytime he walks into the room with the TV. If you watch a movie make him stay in the kitchen.

I was grounded on superbowl sunday one year. That pissed me off.

I started out doing chores for cash. Then i got $10 a week for lunch in highschool, and the chore doing kind of dropped off. The only thing i ever did was clean my room once i got my first job at 16.
Looking back on it now, i was raised completely wrong when it comes to chores. I hate house work and some of the biggest issues Tish and I have are me not doing anything around the house or just bare minimums.

i agree. i didn't lift a finger growing up, and i'm paying for it now. i'm extremely lazy and HATE all housework. and before anyone says anything about me staying at home, NO, i was not looking forward to the HOUSEWORK but raising KIDS. i worked before i had kids. i HATE half of my job, which requires the house. i think the only thing that will help me is if i put myself on a schedule.
but i digress. i am going to make sure my kids have more responsibility around the house than i had, even if it's not done my way. (that was my mom's issue...what's the point in kids doing it if it's not done right and she has to go back and fix it?) i have this problem too, but i know what happens when kids don't have chores, and i don't want molly to be the way i am.

It's okay, I did tons of chores and work when I was growing up and I still hate doing them and I am still totally lazy.

it's not a good thing, especially when a child is watching you. she's watching me so closely that she writes her Os the left-handed way. if she's paying that much attention, i need to figure out how to be a better housekeeper..for HER sake.

During Weekends -
We had to cut the lawn, edge the side walks, blow the grass into the neighbors lawn, help with anything my dad was working on outside

During Weekdays -
We had to clean the kitchen, bedrooms, windex all doors/counters and our bathroom.

For doing all this I only got 10 bucks a week but I have never had a curfew or bedtime. After I started my first job at 14 I just had to clean after myself.

I never really got an allowance. Don't want beat, do what is asked.

My grandpa started slipping me a fifty or hundred every few weeks, once a month, or so during the summers. I split wood for the winter and took care of his greenhouse and garden all summer. Spent all my free time there.

Last edited:
I didn't get allowance but I did a ton of chores, especially after I turned 16.

Got brother and sister up and dressed took them to school.
Went to school.
Dropped off brother and sister (30 minute drive btw).
Went to work at the mall (30 minute drive back).
Came home.
Did dishes. Laundry. Vacumming.

On the Weekends:
Took brother and sister to soccer / basketball / volleyball games.
Cooked dinner.
Still did all the dishes / laundry / vacumming.
Mopped floors.

Fun stuff.

Now I hate housework. Go figure.

I didn't get allowance but I did a ton of chores, especially after I turned 16.

Got brother and sister up and dressed took them to school.
Went to school.
Dropped off brother and sister (30 minute drive btw).
Went to work at the mall (30 minute drive back).
Came home.
Did dishes. Laundry. Vacumming.

On the Weekends:
Took brother and sister to soccer / basketball / volleyball games.
Cooked dinner.
Still did all the dishes / laundry / vacumming.
Mopped floors.

Fun stuff.

Now I hate housework. Go figure.

Pics of your sister in volleyball shorts and kneepads?