reward systems

Didn't get allowance, just did chores because they were expected of me. Only got hit if I sassed. I was a sassy kid though, at least they thought so :(

I never got allowance growing up we didn't have the money for that.

I have seen a variety of shows and read some different articles on the subject and basically have an idea of what I would like to do. I want my kids to know they are part of the house and have to help. Starting when they are rather young you teach kids to help with basic things. Pick up toys, put away laundry etc. I let my 20 month old son help with basic tasks such as putting away laundry and he loves it. As they get older let them help more and have more responsibilities. Once they are old enough to start allowance around 7 or 8 give them a basic allowance based on age. They have there basic chores that has nothing to do with allowance. There allowance is broken down into categories, such as now money, savings (such as for a game) and long term savings (for vacation or college), and they must put at least 50% into there savings. Some parents even do a tax or tidings for church. If they don't do the chores they lose privileges such as TV or computer time not money. Then there are extra items that they can do to earn extra money, like raking leaves, cleaning out the car etc.

I have seen a variety of shows and read some different articles on the subject and basically have an idea of what I would like to do. I want my kids to know they are part of the house and have to help. Starting when they are rather young you teach kids to help with basic things. Pick up toys, put away laundry etc. I let my 20 month old son help with basic tasks such as putting away laundry and he loves it. As they get older let them help more and have more responsibilities. Once they are old enough to start allowance around 7 or 8 give them a basic allowance based on age. They have there basic chores that has nothing to do with allowance. There allowance is broken down into categories, such as now money, savings (such as for a game) and long term savings (for vacation or college), and they must put at least 50% into there savings. Some parents even do a tax or tidings for church. If they don't do the chores they lose privileges such as TV or computer time not money. Then there are extra items that they can do to earn extra money, like raking leaves, cleaning out the car etc.

Yea, way to complex.

Do the chores, or get beaten. Much simpler.

and that's basically why i started this thread...to see if our generation had such things. i think things have changed, and money is way different today than it was back then. today's society is much different than it was with us growing up, and i think the attitudes toward money, self-responsibility, and working in a team have all changed/grown. i think it's all tied together, and yes, this plan as stated above does sound complex, but i think it's a good start on educating a child for the future.
i also believe that a child should not have to be rewarded/punished for EVERYthing. they need to learn and accept being a member of a family, and the responsibilities that come to that. there are simple character traits that you either do or don't. you use manners. period. you respect others. period. you share/help/ blahblahblah period. no reward expected or given.
as with most other parenting issues, it's a balance thing. that's the hardest thing for me currently is finding a good balance. i am overly strict, i need to find balance. but that is a whole nother issue. :D

extra money for yard work? :lol:

he'll be out there with me slaving away every saturday morning.

it's a balance thing. that's the hardest thing for me currently is finding a good balance. i am overly strict, i need to find balance. but that is a whole nother issue. :D

Haylee is VERY stubborn, Knyte and I also happen to be stubborn and we already bash heads with each other. I have to keep reminding myself when it doesn't matter to let Haylee win, but make sure she does what I say on important things. I'm hoping we can come to some sort of understanding before she is a teenager to avoid tons of fights (I do realize there will be some).

Knyte and I came up with the idea to make our kids pay us when they come home late (so much per minute, yet to be determined). That money has to be paid before they can go out again. Knyte and I will then use that money to buy stuff for ourselves.

Haylee is VERY stubborn, Knyte and I also happen to be stubborn and we already bash heads with each other. I have to keep reminding myself when it doesn't matter to let Haylee win, but make sure she does what I say on important things. I'm hoping we can come to some sort of understanding before she is a teenager to avoid tons of fights (I do realize there will be some).

Knyte and I came up with the idea to make our kids pay us when they come home late (so much per minute, yet to be determined). That money has to be paid before they can go out again. Knyte and I will then use that money to buy stuff for ourselves.

that is AWESOME. make it like $20 per minute late. :D oh, and times three kids?? maybe we can go on our cruise then -- and you can pay for our half too!!

molly was a BEAUTIFUL two-year-old, which she is now making up for in her threes. i'd rather have terrible twos, i think. she's old enough to KNOW when and how to push the WRONG buttons. gah. i'm not even hopeful about the teenage years. it's going to be long and painful, and i'm just realizing that all this is practice for the BIG stuff. sigh. now i'm going to go find some valium.