Revolution vs 360 vs PS3...

smileynev said:
cube supposedly will be backwards compatible. I read somewhere that the xbox for some reason was not. PS3 probably will be because they are evil.

Both the Revolution and PS3 are logical evolutionary steps, and sony always had in the plans to have the previous generation shrunk to fit on a single chip by the time the next generation has come around. The sound processor for the PS2 is basically the PS1 in chip form and im sure they have done the same for the PS2

Gamecube was a PowerPC system anyways, and Cell has alot in common with PowerPC architexture. About the closest that Microsoft has been able to say is that they want to but the dont know if its possible yet. I really doubt they are going to be able to pull it off unless they do it in software somehow.

Ryokurin said:
Both the Revolution and PS3 are logical evolutionary steps, and sony always had in the plans to have the previous generation shrunk to fit on a single chip by the time the next generation has come around. The sound processor for the PS2 is basically the PS1 in chip form and im sure they have done the same for the PS2

Gamecube was a PowerPC system anyways, and Cell has alot in common with PowerPC architexture. About the closest that Microsoft has been able to say is that they want to but the dont know if its possible yet. I really doubt they are going to be able to pull it off unless they do it in software somehow.

While the switch from x86 to PPC is a big deal affecting the backwards compatibility for the xbox, the bigger issue is the switch from nVidia to ATI for graphics. To get the graphics as good as they are they take advantage of a lot of hardware specifics on the xbox. The lack of a hard drive also has implications for compatibility.

What I find amusing is that with all of the people who claim the xbox as being so much better in everyway than the cube, MS is switching to a PPC arch with ATI, exactly what nintendo has done with the cube.

I'll probably stick with Nintendo in the next generation, possibly getting a PS3 when the price drops. I like Nintendo's commitment to innovation, and the exclusive sw titles, like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc...

It definately comes down to the games in the end though. And while I do like the Xbox, there are only a couple of games that I like, its not worth it after already owning the cube and ps2.

BozuSugoi said:
While the switch from x86 to PPC is a big deal affecting the backwards compatibility for the xbox, the bigger issue is the switch from nVidia to ATI for graphics. To get the graphics as good as they are they take advantage of a lot of hardware specifics on the xbox. The lack of a hard drive also has implications for compatibility.

What I find amusing is that with all of the people who claim the xbox as being so much better in everyway than the cube, MS is switching to a PPC arch with ATI, exactly what nintendo has done with the cube.

I'll probably stick with Nintendo in the next generation, possibly getting a PS3 when the price drops. I like Nintendo's commitment to innovation, and the exclusive sw titles, like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc...

It definately comes down to the games in the end though. And while I do like the Xbox, there are only a couple of games that I like, its not worth it after already owning the cube and ps2.

Supposedly the XBox hardware is the most powerful, and yet I think the graphics are superior on the Cube. I have yet to see a game as pretty as Metroid Prime on the Xbox.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Going to PowerPC is a smart move.

I'd love to get a PPC based laptop that didn't have a (cr)apple logo on it

Power 5 :drool:

You could cover it with something like they do on TV.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Going to PowerPC is a smart move.

I'd love to get a PPC based laptop that didn't have a (cr)apple logo on it

Power 5 :drool:

surprised no one got on board with the opteron/a64...that thing romps the ppc chip, no?

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'd still know it was a crapple

How does the manufacturer affect the performance of the system? If you had to, just buy a mini and put the components in a laptop case.

why_ask_why said:
surprised no one got on board with the opteron/a64...that thing romps the ppc chip, no?

I think in a mhz vs mhz shootout the performance difference isn't that great. Plus, and I'm just guessing here, I think the PPC architecture lends itself better to more specialized applications like gaming consoles.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Because I want a system that's not cutesy

iBooks and Powerbooks are not "cutesy" And you can install linux or whatever satanic barbaric heathen OS you want on there.

smileynev said:
Supposedly the XBox hardware is the most powerful, and yet I think the graphics are superior on the Cube. I have yet to see a game as pretty as Metroid Prime on the Xbox.

Nintendo was consertive with their original numbers. while Sony and Microsoft naturally were overboard. Thus over the years the GC potential improved over what was originally stated (its routine that games provide several times over the stated max in 2000 for instance) while on the PS2 and Xbox side todays games find it harder and harder to reach the theoretical max. I noticed a long time ago that they were not trying to BS people like console manufactures normally do yet no one has seemed to notice yet.

Ryokurin said:
Nintendo was consertive with their original numbers. while Sony and Microsoft naturally were overboard. Thus over the years the GC potential improved over what was originally stated (its routine that games provide several times over the stated max in 2000 for instance) while on the PS2 and Xbox side todays games find it harder and harder to reach the theoretical max. I noticed a long time ago that they were not trying to BS people like console manufactures normally do yet no one has seemed to notice yet.

Specs have always been secondary to the games when it comes to Nintendo. They don't try to wow you with gigaflops and terabytes.

smileynev said:

Agreed. :)