Resident Evil 4 Review

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
Sorry if this review sucks, I do math for a living.

Picked up Resident Evil 4 last night 4 hours in to it – here are my thoughts:

It’s probably the best action/thriller game I’ve ever played, but it’s really not anything like past Resident Evils:

The game takes place in a huge wooded, dismal area of Mexico where people are possessed (so to speak) by an evil higher power – you are a government operative sent to an area where apparently the president of the u.s.’s kidnapped daughter was stashed by possessed humans- right there you can see it’s different from past RE Games, there are no zombies. Now, to me, I felt as though what gave me chills about the older games was the fact that a walking dead person was trying to munch my brains; how can RE4 be frightening too? How about mind-controlled women attacking you with a pitchfork? Still not scared? No worries, Capcom did an excellent job giving this game a thoroughly haunting atmosphere with an equally as involving soundtrack – speaking of the music, it’s crazy, it’s not your typical high pitched violins or metal clanking sounds found in games like Silent Hill, the music is scary because it’s just bloody insane and when it’s gone and the room is silent, it feels even scarier – nutty tunes also kick in any time a possessed person is in the area and you can feel it slam your pulse in to gear.

Okay enough of the scenery, let’s move on to the gameplay, it’s faster, actually it’s MUCH faster paced than the older RE s and again that’s another detour from the genre. The perspective is like 50/50 First Person / 3RD Person (reminds me of parts of splinter cell) :

gc03261lq7vz.jpg

And is supported with the most fluid game control in any RE to date and camera angles that don't suck. And thank God the control is smooth because there is a TON of badies to kill. Of the 4 hours I played last night I feel like I was on the run for about 3/4s of the time, sometimes you simply can’t kill them all at once, but don’t worry for those of you who like to adventure through areas, once you waxed out an entire small town (there are many) or area, you are able to look through it all. Speaking of constantly running, never take your hand off the controller, I won’t spoil shit and tell you why, but if you play this game you’ll see what I’m saying. Hope you’re dexterous.

Another difference in this game is that there is a shop system – throughout the game you run into a shady guy who can sell you items and upgrade your weapons. Yup, that’s right, upgrade - the game has basically the same arsenal of arms (handgun, shotgun, uzi, rocket launcher) but in RE4 you can pay the bucks to have things such as firepower and reload speed be upgraded to make your favorite weapon more effective. Can you say a 9MM that is as powerful as an RPG? Fuck yeah.

Probably the BIGGEST difference of this RE to the others is how cool the bosses are – anyone that has played past RE s can tell you that good boss battles were pretty much exclusive to the end of the games – well I haven’t beaten 4 yet, but the two bosses I have fought were freakin’ TOUGH but not impossible, just the way I like’m. AND DUDE WERE THEY BAD LOOKIN’

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed playing Resident Evil 4 last night, I didn’t even get into the cool details (you can exit houses by jumping through windows, flame grenades, the president’s daughter being a hot chick that you play tandem with once you find her), but I will just say that if you are a HARDCORE Resident Evil fan, you might be in for a shock when you see and feel how different the game is from the past ones, but you and everyone else will in the end agree that it is one of the best (if not the best) action/thriller game made, ever.

theacoustician said:
I want this game. Too bad I have no time to play it.
Exactly, that's why I was up till like 2 am playing this game - you're gonna have to give up sleep

Picking up a copy today at my local game shop, aka Walmart. JJ has been pestering me to get it, and since the WoW servers are down all day, seems like a good opportunity. Plus I love the RE series, it totally rox my box. The idea of cult brainwashed dirty villagers hunting me down like in Gymkata's town of crazies scene gives me tha willies.

bast_imret said:
Picking up a copy today at my local game shop, aka Walmart. JJ has been pestering me to get it, and since the WoW servers are down all day, seems like a good opportunity. Plus I love the RE series, it totally rox my box. The idea of cult brainwashed dirty villagers hunting me down like in Gymkata's town of crazies scene gives me tha willies.
after I beat RE4 a couple of times I'll probably pick up WoW - byebye life then

bast_imret said:
wtf are you a drug dealer? when do you work?

Bro in law went to buy it at Best Buy, they don't get it it till today.

Spain != Mexico.

fly said:
Why don't you have a GC? You're one of those goody alt. platform guys.
I do bitchtits. Haven't fired it up in close to a year, though.

How many discs is it and how are the load times? That was always my complaint ... you get into it, get a little scared, then loading ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................play!