Resident Evil 4 Review

theacoustician said:
How many discs is it and how are the load times? That was always my complaint ... you get into it, get a little scared, then loading ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................play!
I'm not joking when I say there are little or no load times at all.

There are 2 discs.

edit: there are definitely none of those annoying load scenes with the door opening or walking up steps - I know what you're talking about

i'll be waiting til the xbox, or ps2 version comes out (GOD DAMn, i thought i had all the consoles covered i mean, i got a ps2, xbox AND pc, shall no decent game excape me)

Restless said:
i'll be waiting til the xbox, or ps2 version comes out (GOD DAMn, i thought i had all the consoles covered i mean, i got a ps2, xbox AND pc, shall no decent game excape me)
a ps2 version is coming out in like march

I picked this up last night too.

It's definitely the best RE game yet control wise and graphics wise. I'm not too far into it so I can't comment on the story, but from the looks of it, it's going to have the best story too.

It has a very Blair Witchy feel to it which is nice and so far I have very little complaints:

1.) Why the widescreen? Come on people I know it's the wave of the future and all but the majority of us are still playing games on our 27 inch Quasar TV sets. At least make widescreen an option and NOT the only default.

2.) If I was in a village full of hostile, near-zombie like individuals I would probably turn and back up a little faster. Yeah. I know this game is all about being cautious and all that...but damnit, Leon...TURN FOO'!

3.) A quick weapon change thing would have been nice. I'm an ammo whore with these games so I'm always switching weapons. Rifle if their far enough away, pistol for mid-range, and shotgun if they get too close. Having to go in and out of the inventory screen to equip is a pain!

But these are some severely MINOR issues. So far, it's an excellent game. Finally an action/adventure game where grenades are USEFUL. It seems like in most action games you only come up against 2 or 3 scattered enemies at a time making grenades useless. In RE4 there are often large groups of enemies slowly pacing towards you. It makes for some very satisfying kills with a incediary grenade or something.

Millions said:
I picked this up last night too.

It's definitely the best RE game yet control wise and graphics wise. I'm not too far into it so I can't comment on the story, but from the looks of it, it's going to have the best story too.

It has a very Blair Witchy feel to it which is nice and so far I have very little complaints:

1.) Why the widescreen? Come on people I know it's the wave of the future and all but the majority of us are still playing games on our 27 inch Quasar TV sets. At least make widescreen an option and NOT the only default.

2.) If I was in a village full of hostile, near-zombie like individuals I would probably turn and back up a little faster. Yeah. I know this game is all about being cautious and all that...but damnit, Leon...TURN FOO'!

3.) A quick weapon change thing would have been nice. I'm an ammo whore with these games so I'm always switching weapons. Rifle if their far enough away, pistol for mid-range, and shotgun if they get too close. Having to go in and out of the inventory screen to equip is a pain!

But these are some severely MINOR issues. So far, it's an excellent game. Finally an action/adventure game where grenades are USEFUL. It seems like in most action games you only come up against 2 or 3 scattered enemies at a time making grenades useless. In RE4 there are often large groups of enemies slowly pacing towards you. It makes for some very satisfying kills with a incediary grenade or something.
if you hold down and hit 'B' he does a 180 in like half a second

elpmis said:
if you hold down and hit 'B' he does a 180 in like half a second

Yeah I use that all the time....but I'm talking about when you're aiming and you target one enemy then another who's say, 90 degrees to your right. If he moved just a LITTLE bit faster it would be perfect. Plus what's up with the enemies being able to dodge left and right but Leon can only turn, never strafe. Oh well. Can't have everything I guess.

Millions said:
Yeah I use that all the time....but I'm talking about when you're aiming and you target one enemy then another who's say, 90 degrees to your right. If he moved just a LITTLE bit faster it would be perfect. Plus what's up with the enemies being able to dodge left and right but Leon can only turn, never strafe. Oh well. Can't have everything I guess.
strafing would make the game a lot easier, but with it the game would feel like a half assed FPS

elpmis said:
strafing would make the game a lot easier, but with it the game would feel like a half assed FPS

True. I will admit it's a great Resident Evil / action game...but I think the new Metal Gear Solid blew it out of the water, personally.

Although there is nothing better then drilling a shot gun round into the head of those zombie people....satisfying!

elpmis said:

QFT Its definatly different to watch than the earlier ones. But it seems cool and Bast is happy with Any video games that I want him to play :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
Maybe I'll try it, the previous RE's all sucked IMO due to shitty controls
I was going to say that.. I generally can't stand the controls for the whole genre, so I've always avoided it. Except I don't do FPS on consoles either, so I'm not really drawn to this. There are too many games to play that I'd more likely enjoy than to try to like this just because I'm supposed to.

Kind of nice to see some of those changes, for personal reasons, but again, I just don't have the desire. Much like the whole genre, I'd rather actually watch someone else play it than suffer through it myself. shrug

UPDATE:

I'm now on Disc 2, and on the final chapter (chapter 5) with just under 20 hours logged.

I am currently using a fairly upgraded Blacktail, Striker and Semi-Auto Rifle mainly

For bosses I pull out my Killer7, which is a better .45 you find can purchase on Disc 2 (it's better than the broken butterfly).

All I can tell you is that shit is really hairy now and finding ammo is an issue.

I plan on beating the game before the end of the week